Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• A Cock and Bull Story - Director Michael Winterbottom
    by Zettel at 00:26 on 25 January 2006
    Eric Morecombe, Andre Previn’s lapels in hand, responding to the maestro’s accusation that he has just played all the wrong notes, famously replies with mock menace - “No, I played all the right notes….but not necessarily in the right order”. An apt metaphor for the delicious wit and chronologically anarchic fun of this movie that wanders confidently between the comic mugging of Morecambe and Wise through irony and an appealing self-deprecatory bemusement of Steve Coogan’s Tristram. All to good effect. It is consistently funny and exploits its film-within-a-film structure with great style.

I haven’t read the book but having consulted a few reviews of the film feel as if I have. Not since Milo O’Shea lifted from my shoulders the guilty burden of actually ploughing through Joyce’s Ulysses, have I been so satisfyingly excused reading. Sterne’s apparently much loved but seldom read classic is described in ACABS as “post-modern before there was a modern.” As I find attaching any intelligible meaning to ‘post-modern’ one of life’s more arcane mysteries, I am clearly well equipped to appreciate the incisive appositeness of this witticism.

First things first. As the end credits roll, Rob Bryden and Steve Coogan discuss Bryden’s more than ordinary impersonation of Al Pacino. Coogan responds with a superb Pacino and wins hands, or larynx, down. This refers to banter half way through ACABS where half way through filming Tristram Shandy, Coogan and Bryden vie with each other for the attention of sexy PA Jennie (with an ‘e’).with whom Coogan has paddled in the shallows of a sexual Rubicon deterred from crossing by thoughts of Jenny (with a ‘y’) mother of his child and on a brief inconvenient, Rubicon-wise, visit to the set.

The ego-sparring between Coogan and Bryden works nicely with Coogan doing a riff on his up-himself egocentric luvvy from Jarmusch’s Coffee and Cigarettes. Sterne apparently had the prophetic realisation that the life to which art holds up its mirror, is merely a stream of conscious thoughts and capricious associations in response to a world where both events and actions are perplexingly random and beyond our rational control. His Tristram spends much time recounting events before and even during his own birth. Coogan slips comfortably between three roles – himself, Tristram and Tristram’s father Walter. Perhaps for the first time Sterne tried to describe the chaotic subjectivity of experience without imposing upon it a falsely ordered narrative. A witness to life rather than a teller of stories as we might say.

It is not surprising that such an elusive, eccentric book should arouse conflicting interpretations or responses. This too is used to good effect in ACABS with sudden script changes and radical shifts of emphasis adding to the erratic progress of the shoot. Someone loves the Widow Wadman character so Gillian Anderson is suddenly drafted in for pretty much an extended joke based upon Rob Bryden’s Captain Toby Shandy innnocently thinking her lusty desire see where he was injured in the war referred to where it happened not what it happened to. Much of this ends up on the editing room floor (the scene not the injured part) along with what Bryden calls the army of 10’s that he led into a totally unconvincing battle scene also abandoned with alacrity.

This kaleidoscopic narrative just floats from one episode in Tristram’s life, including foetal life, to another. On ACABS Director Jeremy Northam is breaking the rather predictable news to Coogan that the scene of Tristram’s swoosh down the mocked up womb and birth canal will require him to be naked. What else we might ask? And every male in the audience will wince at the toddler Tristram’s inadvertent circumcision by cordless sash window. Perhaps the only known example in the literary canon of defenestrated foreskin.

Lots of well known actors pop in to stir the ‘post-modern’ plot nicely along. (It’s OK, the one thing I have learned about ‘post-modern’ is that you don’t have to understand it to use it). Stephen Fry does Stephen Fry under the courtesy title of Parson Yorrick; and Shirley Henderson does a kind of Harry Potter Moaning Myrtle in long skirts displaying a feminine inscouciance to little Tristram’s unkindest cut of all that stirs rage in the soul of every red-blooded Gentile in the audience.

Long experience of watching crap films has taught me that any movie described as ‘uproarious’ should be avoided at all costs as it is likely to be about as funny as Tristram’s encounter with the sash window. ‘Romp’ sends out pretty much the same dire warning. Though these spring to mind, Director Michael Winterbottom has, against all the odds, whipped up a movie cocktail of the droll, witty, arch, wickedly self-mocking and parodic that packs a comic punch from the first sip to the final swallow. Relax Mr Sterne – the boys done you proud. Great fun.
  • Re: A Cock and Bull Story - Director Michael Winterbottom
    by CarolineSG at 21:51 on 22 July 2006
    Zettel
    Long time since you posted this, but I just finished watching the film about five minutes ago and loved it so much, just had to do a quick WW search! Great review and a wonderful film. The thing that impressed me was the way the viewer's reactions were predicted and woven in - so you're just thinking, 'actually I'm a bit bored with this battle stuff' when the actors are all discussing that very thing.
    Loved it.
    by Zettel at 22:19 on 22 July 2006
    Thanks for taking the trouble to comment Caroline. The great thing about C&BS for me is that it took a lot of belief and commitment to get such a film made and they did such a good job too. A genuinely innovative, funny, clever Brit film. Glad you liked it.

(PS Its also nice to feel that the archive is being used as a reference. I had look back recently and everyone's reviews keeping ticking up visits however long ago they were written).

Thanks again.

regards

Z
    by EmmaH at 08:29 on 10 June 2012
    Great film, love Brydon and Coogan, but you've got to read the book. It's one of my all time favourite novels.
    by Zettel at 10:12 on 10 June 2012
    Hi Emma

As the BBC this week are doing a 5 hour version of Ulysses on Radio 4 + Melvyn Bragg's superb In Our Time deals with the same nbook itlooks as if I may be excused reading Ulysses all the way through - son you advice I guess i'll have to read TS for myself.

regards

Z
    by EmmaH at 10:34 on 10 June 2012
    Zettel,

I managed the whole of Proust and War and Peace, but I must admit I've always baulked at Ulysses. So thanks for the heads up - I may give it a try.
    by Jem at 08:26 on 11 June 2012
    I was going to start a thread on Ulysses Day. We'll be in the car en route the IOW next Saturday so won't really be able to listen solidly, but I would like to. The saucy bits are on late at night, I believe. Maybe I'll try to catch it on I-Player - they're bound to keep it on for a while.

Missed several opportunities to see A Cock And Bull Story but I know I would love it as I'm a huge fan of Coogan and Brydon, independently and an even bigger one of them when they work together. Absolutely loved the restaurant/road comedy they did together.
    by Zettel at 09:44 on 11 June 2012
    Emma,

Failed Proust (and The Hobbit) but love Tolstoy. Always been put off by the classical Greek narrative structure of Ulysses. We'll see. Enjoy.

Love listening to the radio in the car - but then my wife likes to drive.

good trip.

Z
    by Zettel at 09:48 on 11 June 2012
    BY the way: as I recall Tristram Shandy includes that weirdest of all English words 'defenestration'.

A propos of nothing

Z
    by CarolineSG at 10:03 on 11 June 2012
    That is a great word...always loved that one. Wouldn't like it to happen to me though

by EmmaH at 10:06 on 11 June 2012
    Tristram is not a difficult read. It's bloody hilarious.