Login   Sign Up 

• Broken Flowers
    by Ian Smith 100 at 09:55 on 26 October 2005
    With purpose and determination, Jarmusch/Murray take Coffee and Cigarettes on the road. It's stunning. Murray alongside Johanssen was great, but Murray alone is something really special. It's even better than his Lost in Translation performance. The scene with the champagne glass is a masterpiece. Maybe he'd sat for 24 hours watching the bubbles go flat with the camera rolling. Bill's face tells the story. He's the greatest. But Jarmusch has the telling detail too: the real estate, the derelict American porch, the smashed typewriter, the talking cat, the plane full of people all turned to the camera, and at one point one of the tiny faces turns to the camera briefly, knowingly, the small kindness of a stranger, the ignorance of one man, all important. It's unsettling, and it's purpose crept up: "If I keep going down this road will I reach the graveyard". Genius doubled.
    Ian
  • Re: Broken Flowers
    by Cornelia at 18:29 on 06 November 2005
    The opening sequence gives a foretaste of what's to come, as we watch a pink envelope collected, mechanically sorted and delivered, against a sound-track of slow, vaguely melancholic pop lyrics. This prepares us for the slow, vaguely melancholic tale that follows, when his neighbour hands Don (Juan, geddit?) a CD to take with him on the road to search out his conquests of ten years back. The music hardly compensates for lack of dialogue and action. We find out, surprise, surprise, it was the women's fault all along, and the ditsy broads are still at it, taking their clothes off and dragging him to dinner or bed depending on whether husbands/Lesbian girlfriends intervene, for all his grizzled hair and fagged-out air.(Assorted track-suits for a life apparently bound to the sofa - about the only good joke in the film) The underbelly of America has been better done by the likes of Michael Moore and the middle classes more amusingly satirised by the likes of Woody Allen. The worst bits were the intelligence-insulting dream sequences; the best bit was where Don got smacked in the eye.
    by Ian Smith 100 at 08:53 on 10 November 2005
    We find out, surprise, surprise, it was the women's fault all along, and the ditsy broads are still at it

But there's only one 'ditsy broad'. Surprise, surprise, they're all different. The thing is it's Don's fault all along. He's an absolute loser in every respect. Incapable of loving anyone but himself. He's every dysfunctional father rolled into one lump of self-pity. Men of a certain age, watch out.
    Ian
    by Cornelia at 09:34 on 10 November 2005
    I didn't mean the ditsy broads are all his ex girl friends, although they are strange enough: Sharon Stone with airhead job who just sleeps with him after his twenty year absence then waves a smiling goodbye (like she's short of attention?)and whose maternal skills are questionable, to say the least,the one with the false facade of Real-Estate 'normalcy' and the Tilda Swinson biker chick who throws hysterics come to mind, not forgetting Jessica Lange communing with the animals. I'm wondering which 'one' you picked out. For the hero the only acceptable ex (are we supposed to cry too?) is a dead one. Among the 'ditsies' I also number the Lolita (geddit? a step tto far in the direction of the obvious?) character who sheds her clothes, and the 'lady' in the airport with the ankle chain, although arguably she is just a 'normal' prostitute. The florist assistant could be seen as merely kind-hearted in other company, i.e. not a galaxy of apparently sex-obsessed females intent on seducing the hero. It is common enough for men to construct models of female behaviour and motivation according to fantasy transference - as in the almost universal male belief that prostitutes enjoy their 'profession.', but this film really hits us over the head.

I can see why the females need to be shown as predatory, because the hero himself is so inert that it is hard to imagine him doing the chasing. However, in resorting to the device of making middle-aged Bill Murray provoke these extreme, and unlikely incidents, the director strains credulity in another direction. George Clooney, yes, Clint Eastwood maybe, but Bill Murray? He could never get the girls at the peak of his prime. His best role was sparring with Richard Drefuss as manic psychiatrist in 'What about Henry?'

The best explanation for this film is that it's a cash-in on 'Lost in Translation', which did a good job convincing menopausal men that Scarlett Johannsen might have the hots for them. That at least had some kind of contextual rationale, as well as a director with a sense of mise-en-scene. I suspect Jarmusch would make even Tokyo seem boring.

Sheila

<Added>

too far; Dreyfuss
    by Ian Smith 100 at 11:19 on 15 November 2005
    It is common enough for men to construct models of female behaviour and motivation according to fantasy transference

It is, but if Don had stayed with Sharon Stone (plus godawful but preferable family), the film would have been over. He didn't stay because he wasn't looking for a wife or daughter, at least not ones like that. Don's fantasy transference manifests itself in the son he tries to create out of nothing at the end.

I can see why the females need to be shown as predatory, because the hero himself is so inert that it is hard to imagine him doing the chasing.

Inert yes, but he does the running away. Maybe Sophie Copolla will do the Clooney/Eastwood version where the heroine saws legs off to make them stay. Damn. It's been done.

which did a good job convincing menopausal men that Scarlett Johannsen might have the hots for them.

Sorry no, Johannsen was creepy. Like having your 12 year old niece jump on your duvet in the morning. Omigod.

<Added>

...Sofia C.
    by Cornelia at 14:43 on 15 November 2005
    Yes, I see what you mean about the son.

You mean Scarlett Johanssen isn't meant to be attractive in 'Lost in Translation'?

Sheila
    by Zettel at 23:41 on 15 November 2005
    Sorry guy and gal but I can'tlet some of these comments go without some contribution.

LIT: Your average middle-aged guy looking for a bit of autumnal sex on the side wouldn't get much satisfaction from Murray's Bob Harris in LIT as he didn't bed Scarlett even though she made it clear he could. A rarity in Hollywood - a film about love that does not equate it with sex. The world's awash with old guys who bed young women, Nicholson and Rod Stewart e.g. do it for a living. Harris is a grown-up male character for whome the hardest decision he ever had to make I guess was not[/i} to take what was on offer because of the value of his feelings for Scarlett. even though she was willing to forget his age - he wasn't. An almost unique moment in modern, especially Hollywood movies. When a woman director portrays a non-stereotypical male figure lets celebrate it folks. It ain't only women who get trivialised in movies.

As for Jarmusch and Broken Flowers - well I do think J could have encouraged Murray to open up a bit more but the sadness (both the traditional and my kids' sense of 'sad' of Johnston's character surely is his inability to connect. Don's feelings for himself are for me, quite the opposite of self-love. Don seems to me a guy who has become almost bored with himself and his failure to connect with the several woman in his life. He doesn't just think he's an emotional failure - he knows he is. But there is something trying to get out - e.g. don't you get the impression that if Winston got into real trouble Don would be there for him come what may?

So the emotional drive of the film is the idea, genuinely full of pathos, that while Don would never have shown enough commitment to intenionally father a child, the possibility that fate might be throwing him one, eventually gets through to him. And aren't his misunderstood efforts finally to express this to the ambiguous figure of the kid at the end genuinely sad? All his life he's been unable to connect and then the first time he really goes for it - he's mistaken for a pervert. Lack of practice I guess.

Anyway we all pays our money and makes our choice. So in the immortal words of Superted - "that's what I think about it anyway".

Happy movie-going you two. Keep the reviews a-coming.

regards

Zttel

by Zettel at 23:42 on 15 November 2005
    Sorry - I've screwed up the bloody italics again. Not a pathetic attempt at emphasis.

I just forget to preview.

regards

again Z
    by Cornelia at 06:36 on 16 November 2005
    Yes, he would be there for Don - that was part of the point I was making when I said, I think, that was the one convincing relationship in the movie - one with a man.Don keeps complaining about the intructions Winston gives him but he follows them. Why? Because Winston is a 'real' man, his virility signalled by his blackness, in case we missed the half dozen 'cute' kids charging around. Don wants a family, yes, but nt if it means relating to a woman - not the kind he gets to meet, anyway. It's telling that the 'lost' or 'longed-for' child is a son.( I liked the suggestion at the end that the ugly one in the Beetle could just as well be the his. Pervert's putting it a bit strong, but there is sub-text homosexual here. The ony-good-dame-a-dead-one is the strongest clue. I don't know Jarmusch's other work well enough to comment - maybe it's just hostility, a la Woody Allen.
    Sheila
    by Zettel at 07:57 on 16 November 2005
    It is very intersting to get a woman's perspective on this. It is true that the women in the movie subserve the concentration on Don. They certainly could have been better conceived and realised which would have not only clarified but also deepened the issues more. I hadn't thought of the film as 'pitched' more at men's than women's sensibilities and while often this is a boring irrelevance, cliche almost, this time I think you're on the money and I'll give it a second look out of interest.

Thanks

Z
    by Cornelia at 08:16 on 16 November 2005
    I think I need to look at some more of Jarmusch's work, but it doesn't seem very appealing. I was just reading some audience reviews of 'Coffee and Cigarettes' in which the main complaint seemed to be about boredom, although people had their favourite 'bits'. Bill Murray was in that, too.

Sheila
    by Zettel at 20:22 on 16 November 2005
    Sheila

My son doing Film Studies put me on to Jarmusch. He's very literature-centric and it shows I think. Cinematically he is at the other end of the Hollywood spectrum where every second of screen time has to be filled with something dramatic happening. Whatever his faults J makes films about the real world and I don't mean Andy Warhol pointing a camera at a building for 36 hours etc. J quietens everything down (even in his very simple editing) and yes this involves a degre of visual minimalism. But - imagine you are in the countryside and cars and noise and people chattering are humming away in the background, partly unnoticed but still creating a background of noise against which your enjoyment has to be taken. Then imagine a place in the countyside away from all noise and distraction, no chattering people to disturb you - then you hear things you wouldn't have otherwise heard and you see things you wouldn't otherwise have seen. I'm probably going overboard a bit, but this is why I called C and C and BF 'visual poems' They intensify little things that get lost in the rush and sound of most Hollywood movies. Hollywood movies are always in-yer-face 'look at me!' products. Maybe J carries the minmalist thing too far at times but if a good painting requires a quiet time to really see it, then I feel something of this is present in J's movies. I can understand all the things people say about them and maybe I am being fanciful but the closer one looks, I rather think the more one sees - because there is something there to see.

Enough pretentious tosh. Check him out. I think the guy is doing something different and very worthwhile.

regards

Z
    by Cornelia at 07:43 on 17 November 2005
    It sounds as if you don't get to see enough European films, which Jarmusch seems to strain to imitate.

Where's you son doing his film studies?

I'm lucky that my son is a film enthusiast despite being a computer nerd, and is bringing his kids up the same - to like films, that is. We are all going to see the latest 'harry Potter' on Saturday, so watch this space. I've read it's got a 12A certificate, which is OK for the grandson, but could be a bit of a facer for ten year old sister. I remeber having to pretend ot have dropped something under the seat so she'd miss the execution scene in 'Chicago'.

Sheila
    by Zettel at 11:14 on 17 November 2005
    Sheila

Not sure about 'strain' but you're about right I think - European sensibility and form within an american setting. With our view of america so hollywood-centric J is worth celebrating. My family cringe at the thought that I might not see enough European or even any movies!

Matt's at Portsmouth and loving it.

Good Luck with HPATGOF. I'm going too and also have sensibly equipped myself with a couple of kids. Both boys though, no girl. From what I see of today's kids: a) the boy will flinch before the girl (right on!); and you'll duck behind the seat before either.

But that's cool.

Regards

Z