Login   Sign Up 

• The Constant Gardener 2005 (dir:Fernando Meirelles)
    by Cornelia at 19:45 on 25 October 2005

In an opening scene which echoes the close of ‘Casablanca’ and marks out the romantic territory, Justin Quayle, (Ralph Fiennes) a low-ranking High Commission officer, bids farewell to his wife at a dust-swept airfield in Kenya. She leaves accompanied by an African doctor. After a shot of the wheels of an overturned truck in the desert, Justin learns of his wife’s murder. He identifies her badly injured body and in flashback recalls their relationship.

This began when well-bred activist Tessa (Rachel Weisz), spoke out at a ministerial press conference in London, blaming Blair for helping Bush to attack Iraq, a metaphor in miniature for the film’s content. Whilst hardened journos slink off in embarrassment, Justin offers to take her out for a coffee. In what seems to the bewildered bureaucrat a spontaneous gesture of generosity, she beds him and proposes marriage shortly afterwards. Apparently sidestepping any vetting procedures, she is soon making a nuisance of herself in Africa, helping the local black medic and courting infidelity rumours which her husband tries to ignore by losing himself among his beloved plants. Her secret late-night computer conversations with a fellow activist indicate she is involved in some kind of under-cover work. After gaining admission to a local hospital where her child is stillborn, Tessa confides to one of her husband’s shiftier colleagues, Sandy, played with suitable shading by Danny Huston, that the imminent death of a fellow patient, whose child she suckles, is deliberately induced.

Tessa’s death is Justin’s cue to leave his job and try to find out what she was looking for, aided by the considerable sum left to him in her will. When his passport is confiscated, a suddenly materialised brother-in-law of inexplicably Latin ancestry, and his computer nerd son, enable him to seek out Tessa’s fellow-conspirator in Berlin, an encounter that is witnessed by mysterious watchers in a marauding limousine.

Faithful to the complexities of John Le Carre’s novel, this ‘multi-layered’, (i.e. hard-to-follow ) conspiracy tale’s great strength is its cinematography, the noise and colour of Africa virtually branded onto the screen, so that townships, interiors and remote dust-swept villages come to resemble a recently used Fauve artist’s palate. Europe, and the chief villain, a chill Bill Nighy, are by contrast painted in tones of grey and blue. Ralph Fiennes’ character makes Hugh Grant look decisive, but the actor hints at steely determination, helped by his steely eyes, whether he’s wrapping a tender green shoot or accepting a similarly wrapped gun from a well-wisher. The latter motif is a reminder of the director’s depictions of sudden violence in ‘City of God’ where he exposed conditions in the slums of Rio de Janeiro. As in this film, a corrupt regime provided the backdrop. Rachel Weisz’s beads and ethnic prints do little to soften her patrician aloofness. Other characters, apart from Sandy, are too sketchy to allow the actors much scope or credibility.

The action fuse is slower than with factually-based films ‘Hotel Rwanda’, and ‘Shooting Dogs’; fizzling through a welter of encounters which range from a disgruntled golfer to the desert-hermit Peter Postlethwaite, all adding pieces to the puzzle as they refuse to take personal responsibility for atrocities. The villains are at last unmasked in an unlikely disclosure scene that recalls, appropriately enough, Earl Spencer’s speech at Lady Di’s memorial service.

• Re: The Constant Gardener 2005 (dir:Fernando Meirelles)
    by Zettel at 11:29 on 13 November 2005
    Sheila

Just seen CC. Nice review. I agree very much with the balance you strike. The film didn't seem to make up its mind whether it wanted to be a thriller or a drama about corruption. This problem seems to have infected le Carre's later books. In a recent interview he was clearly angry at Iraq and other aspects of politics but as has been seen before, that doesn't always improve the art.

Like the bit about Weisz - so true. And what was Pete Postlethwaite doing there with a phoney Sout African accent?

regards

Zettel

by Cornelia at 12:47 on 13 November 2005
    Accents in films are often intriguing. Take, for instance, Bill Murray's neighbour in 'Broken Flowers', elaborately established as 'ethnic' before we even see him, as the main character walks through his house, greeting an indeterminate number of noisy kids, moving aside bead curtains, passing African print furnishing facrics, and, as I noticed, a wall-poster depicting Bob Marley. It was well in keeping with other over-stated points in the movie. The guy's accent was not Afro-Caribbean, but hispanic. Could be Cuban, I thought. He was in any case a much more interesting character than Don Johnston, played by Murray, although somewhat stereotyped. Later, I read in a review that he was Ethiopian! Hmm...

Sheila
    by Zettel at 00:13 on 14 November 2005
    Sheila

On Broken Flowers - I thought it was made clear that Winston was Ethiopian not least through his music. As for the things in the house - surely Winston was married to an African American woman who might reasonably be expected to be the source of those? As for the movie - you pays your money and you takes your choice I guess.

We differ on BF but seem to agree on CC - and either response is OK I guess - we say what we think.

I found Pete P's accent in CC a bit distracting but he was only a small part of the movie and my reservzations, like yours, were wider than that.

regards

Z
    by Cornelia at 08:36 on 14 November 2005
    I'm not up on Ethiopian music, so that's something I missed.

To change the topic- have you ever done a course in film reviewing? My publishing background is limited to Chinese film, with some limited reviewing, but I'd like to break out into more general film reviewing. I have seen an advert at the NFT for a BFI film reviewing course - distance learning, and that might be a way in. It's not cheap, but I'm thinking about it - deadline for applications is December 6th, I think.

Sheila
    by Zettel at 18:19 on 14 November 2005
    Sheila

Never done a course. Not sure I'd want to. Most of my favourite reviewers, Kael, Melly, Powell etc came to Film Reviewing from something else. I'd love to get a regular commission to do some reviewing but I'm not sure that would come from a qualification but simply from a distinctive, unique 'voice'. That by definition it seems to me can't be learned. To me, your writing does not have the technical deficiencies which might be a good reason to take a course.

Good luck with it anyway.

regards

Z
    by Cornelia at 18:30 on 14 November 2005
    Thanks for your response. Yes, I think I'm having trouble justifying it to myself. I certainly feel confident about writng reviews without having done a course on how to write reviews, but I wonder how one's work can become more 'visible'. I think I'll just make further enquiries to see if there's something I'm missing.

Sheila
    by Zettel at 21:40 on 14 November 2005
    Sheila

Are you still using the BBCi collective? I think I heard about it from you and have won a few prizes and had reviews 'selected'. Not much but it's encouragement. I also occasionally post a review on the imdb web-site, which if you don't know it is the reviewers friend in that you can always get full cast and crew etc info.

I'm not sure anyone ever gets feedback from IMDB reviws but they do get seen. WHo knows - we might get 'discovered'.

Good luck.

Z
    by Cornelia at 07:19 on 15 November 2005
    No, I'd forgotten about it, but thank you for reminding me. Yes, it's good to be able to get the info. I like a site called 'Rotten Tomatoes', too. I subscribe to 'Sight and Sound which has full information about films released in the UK'.I think you are right about practising and encouregement. I'm quite pleased the newspapers give away DVDs at the weekends at the moment, reflecting the continuing, or growing, interest, in films.

Good luck

Sheila
    by Cornelia at 09:38 on 22 November 2005
    Zettel, I just posted an improved version of the 'Libertine' review on the BBCi collective. It is so frustrating for me, as a dedicated re-drafter, not to be able to just delete and replace a review directly. Or is there a way to do this? Thanks for reminding me abut IMDB, which I do find very useful, although Rotten Tomatoes is even better for a quick trawl of audience reactions.

Sheila