Login   Sign Up 

Random Read
NIGHT by JLC

• The Newsroom (Season 2) - Aaron Sorkin (Sky Atlantic Monday 9pm)
    by Zettel at 10:52 on 17 September 2013
    Hey Guys

If you aren't watching this - why?

There isn't anything better written on TV at the moment: diamond sharp dialogue, believable characters inhabited by some excellent actors. And addressing important issues. This week's opening smacked political hypocrisy and journalistic deficiencies in the gob, their gobs, in about a minute and a half. Job done.

They talk fast; you have to sometimes re-listen: but when you do, you find even more to relish.

Really - don't miss.
  • Re: The Newsroom (Season 2) - Aaron Sorkin (Sky Atlantic Monday 9pm)
    by Terry Edge at 12:33 on 17 September 2013
    Z, thanks for rubbing it in, but we can't get Sky Atlantic on Virgin!

Terry
    by Zettel at 14:50 on 17 September 2013
    Sorry Terry Didn't realise. But Season 1 is available on DVD and worth every penny.

best

Z
    by Terry Edge at 14:59 on 17 September 2013
    Thanks. Will definitely consider. Mind you, I'm painfully aware of how slowly but surely my spend on TV/media has crept up over the years. We moved into a house with a Virgin connection and swore that we would take nothing but the basic package.

Well . . . suffice to say, we just agreed a 'VIP' deal with Virgin that gives us absolutely everything, and I'm even grateful for it because it's slightly cheaper than the near ton-and-a-half we were paying them before.

(When I say 'absolutely everything', that doesn't of course include Sky Atlantic.)
    by Anna Reynolds at 16:15 on 17 September 2013
    Ah, Z, yes, would love to see this but not paying Sky for it. Will do a box set though, once I've finished watching all West Wing series again.
    by saturday at 09:16 on 18 September 2013
    I really like this, too, Zettel. I haven't watched the new series as I'm letting it build up on the planner so I can binge-watch, later, but I liked series 1 very much. I don't think it's as good as The West Wing (but what is?), but it's still very enjoyable. Have you seen 'Sports Night'? It's another Aaron Sorkin show (pre The West Wing) and is similar to The Newsroom, although it's shorter and lighter - a bit more sit-commy but the usual Sorkin themes and quirks are very much there. I don't know if it ever aired on UK TV but you can get it on DVD.

I think we must share the same tastes as your Leonard Cohen review practically had me weeping with envy!
    by Zettel at 11:04 on 18 September 2013
    Hey Saturday,

I've had the Sport Night set for a while but could only get it in region 1 so have to use my cheapo dvd player from Currys.

I agree it is hard to imagine anything being as good as the West Wing but I doubt whether the commercial reality that Sorkin is battling with would ever sanction 150 episodes of anything again, let alone a series asking uncomofrtable questions about current American culture and political morality.

True to form Sorkin is pushing at the envelope of popular sentiment in the US as he is holding up a mirror to contemporary US society and asking - do we really want to be like this?

On Cohen - I can only sympathise. Simply unique.

best

Z

PS Studio 60 Sunset Strip is available on DVD and again though no West Wing - still full of delicious Sorkin dialogue and always trying to say something worth saying and asking something worth asking.
    by saturday at 11:26 on 18 September 2013
    Studio 60 Sunset Strip is available on DVD and again though no West Wing - still full of delicious Sorkin dialogue and always trying to say something worth saying and asking something worth asking.

I watched this on TV when it came out - I would always make a point of checking out anything written/ originated by Sorkin.