Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• The West Wing - Series Five DVD
    by Zettel at 10:57 on 28 July 2005
    Most successful TV series die long before they are buried. Almost all suffer from the same terminal disease - character assassination. Death occurs at the point where instead of character driving plot - plot begins to drive character. Then well established, much loved characters begin to behave in uncharacteristic ways in order to conform to a narrative, usually more melodramatic, deemed necessary to maintain the audience's interest.

I was anxious therefore when I heard that having written almost single-handedly, most of the first 80-odd episodes of The West Wing, its creator/writer Aaron Sorkin had no direct role in Series Five, just released on DVD. With relief I can report that all the critical qualities that have made this, for my money, the best television series ever written, are safe and well in Series Five. Most importantly, the extraordinary characters at the centre of events in The West Wing are as real, absorbing, funny, moving and interesting as they have always been. The loss of key character Sam Seborne (Rob Lowe) has been accomplished in typical WW style by bringing in Bill Bailey (Joshua Molina) who is as different from 'Sam' as he is feisty and 'real' in his right - or write if you will.

All the remarkable qualities of this superb achievement in sustained, quality television drama, are in evidence: great writing, excellent characterisation and consummate playing by a cast who are now so good, they blur the distinction in one's mind between actor and part. But it is its sheer intelligence, aesthetic aspiration and sustained commitment to confront real political issues head on without pandering to public, and therefore in this instance, audience opinion, that one continues to admire and be grateful for. It is simply a relief to know that the nation that re-elected George W Bush, continue to watch and support in large numbers, a programme whose political idealism is as realistic as it is well argued. In TWW intelligent men with honour and integrity of purpose and belief, are shown grappling with the 'real' responsibilities of power with determination, honesty and most importantly - truthful humility - not the crocodile tear, GW variety. This is how we might hope to be governed. That the shoddy, unprincipled reality is so far from this profoundly credible fiction, makes watching TWW like a breath of fresh air in a cynically polluted political world. It is escapist only in the sense of being a work of the imagination. In terms of coherent political ideas and a believable way of implementing them, it has a credibility that stands in marked contrast to the surreal mixture of hypocrisy and self-serving hubris that passes for US and, sadly, UK politics at the moment.

If Art is supposed to raise the spirits, delight the eye and challenge the mind - then The West Wing is Art. Its mastery of the basic skills of film is as unobtrusive as it is effective: production, direction, cinematography, editing, sound, set design, casting, serve superb writing and playing to the full. All the small things in TWW receive precise care and attention. No part is too small not be very carefully written, well cast and beautifully played.

The West Wing always had a built-in chronological obsolescence - Presidents only serve two terms and Martin Sheen's Jed Bartlett is something over 6 years in, as Series Five comes to an end, with a typically enticing cliffhanger. We can only hope that this massively impressive body of work sustains its quality and its aspiration for Series Six, which I suspect and hope, sadly, will be its last. Nothing would be more misguided than to stretch it out beyond its natural fictional span. However much one would like more.

If even now this is one you've not tried or got into - give it a go. Most of its episodes or series can be enjoyed on their own but there is no doubt that the cumulative effect of each characters' history of triumphs and failures, personal and political, adds resonance to their present emotions and behaviour. Especially in their relationships with one another. Most of the first four series are now available on DVD at discounted prices. I even managed to get a special offer price on Series Five. I suppose I should warn you: beware, this is addictive and therefore may cost you. But once hooked, I guarantee you will watch episodes more than once. And like the very best films, you'll see more with each viewing.

Enjoy

Zettel July 2005