Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, directed by Michel Gondry
    by Account Closed at 14:40 on 30 December 2004
    Written by Charlie Kaufman

As with Adaptation, I am left feeling perplexed after viewing this film. I felt fascinated, uncomfortable, while at the same time recognising the brilliance in the writing as well as the clever camera work. In fact it is like doing some sort of cinematographic homework, trying to hang on in there while following several threads at the same time; plot; subplot and the subplot of the subplot; or like marking three people at once in a game of basketball. So, what I’m trying to say is that I didn’t enjoy this film in the classical sense.

A very bold casting – Carey as an introvert (which does work although, like many, the idea almost put me off seeing the film at all.) Kate Winslett in the Jim Carey role (her words), happy to trade her stiff corsets for an orange sweatshirt. While we’re on the subject of costumes, Jim Carey was almost as unattractive as Nicolas Cage in Adaptation with a nasty selection of acrylic jumpers.

A love film? Yes, I think so. The fact that even with the memories erased, the couples naturally radiated back to each other, and that once the most recent, mundane-couple memories had gone, there were many, many good memories left.

My favourite dialogue:

Joel: Is there any risk of brain damage?
    Howard: Well, technically speaking, the operation is brain damage, but on a par with a night of heavy drinking. Nothing you'll miss.

• Re: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, directed by Michel Gondry
    by anisoara at 14:46 on 30 December 2004
    I LOVED this film!
    by Silverelli at 04:00 on 31 December 2004
    I love it too. Charlie Kaufman is da man.

Favorite Dialogue:
    Clementine: Joel, Hide me in your humiliation.
    by Anna Reynolds at 04:13 on 31 December 2004
    So, given your quotes, now obviously now I must see it