Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• My big fat Greek wedding, directed by Joel Zwick (2002)
    by Account Closed at 08:20 on 27 December 2004
    Written by Nia Vardalos

I’d heard a lot about the success of this film and was looking forward to something entertaining, if perhaps a little clichéd. I have to say, I found the film deadly dull. It is fairly plotless – yes, the ugly-duckling Greek girl (Toula) turns into a swan and meets her Prince Charming, (Ian Miller)who happens to be a non-Greek or ‘Xeno’. The ‘trouble’ starts when he asks her to marry him. This is the problem : the film lacks any real conflict. The Greek father protests a bit, but then gives in without too much of a fight.

Ian Miller is characterless, as are his parents, and although the Greek family is colourful, it doesn’t bring any surprises. Apparently, Nia Vardalos insisted on playing ‘herself’ in the film where she might have been better off casting someone else.(IMO)

I found the start particularly weak with a huge chunk of expositional V.O., making me think of the brilliant send up of a Robert McKee seminar in the film ‘Adaptation’ where he shouts: “...and God help you if you use voice-over in your work, my friends. God help you.” in his lecture, just when the Nicolas Cage character is considering just that. “That's flaccid, sloppy writing. Any idiot can write a voice-over narration to explain the thoughts of a character.” I digress, but in My big fat Greek wedding V.O. is definitely over-used.

I can only guess that this film was a success in the US because they have no idea about this type of close-knit culture (although it does resemble the Jewish model.) Other than that I guess the Tom Hanks connection helped to raise the profile of this film or was it some X-factor that I completely missed?
  • Re: My big fat Greek wedding, directed by Joel Zwick (2002)
    by Colin-M at 12:14 on 27 December 2004
    I never even made it to the end of this film. Bought the DVD, watched half, then gave it away. I didn't get it at all.

Colin M