Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• The Merchant of Venice - Director Michael Radford
    by Zettel at 14:24 on 18 December 2004
    b]The Merchant of Venice - Director Michael Radford

This is review of an excellent film, during part of which, because unwell, I fell asleep. That's a liberty; but because of the fatuous programming policies of the major distributors, this was the only chance I would get to see the film properly. Last week at UCI I had 4 chances to see MofV in a 5 day period and 20 to see Phantom of the Opera in 3, all half-empty screens. An aesthetic crime and commercial stupidity.

This is an excellent film with a luminous performance from Pacino. Radford, the Director of Il Postino, proves himself one of the select band of strong directors who can bring the best out of one of the finest film actors of a generation, who can, with weak direction, go OTT.

The intimacy of cinema is perfect for Shakespeare: it allows the poetry to breathe. I feel as if I have properly understood this troublesome pay for the first time: the God of the Old Testament confronted with the God of the New. In Shylock's key scene, Pacino goes from the supreme arrogance and absolute certainty of rightness under the letter of the law, to total abject defeat and humiliation by essentially a lawyer's trick masquerading as its spirit. This is a master-class of film acting and anyone who joins the other characters in relishing Shylock's fall, has I suggest, missed the profound point of the scene and the play. As later, Shylock stands, alone, the eternal outsider, watching with a mixture of anger and resignation, the superficial, thoughtless word-play of his privileged conquerors, revelling not just in their victory, but the slick, clever form it took; I defy anyone to claim this is an anti-semitic play.

The film is beautifully shot and unfussily edited to let the play emerge. Most of the other parts are well played with Lynn Collins extraordinarily good as Portia. Haven't seen much of this young actress - but I have a hunch we will. The camera loves her.

Thumb your nose at the distributors: get to see this excellent film in spite of their witless efforts to prevent it.

Zettel
    See this and other posts at:
    http://zettelfilmreviews.co.uk
    http://twitter.com
    http://pinterest.com/atthemovies/
  • Re: The Merchant of Venice - Director Michael Radford
    by Bianca at 15:49 on 27 December 2004
    Hi Zettel

Thanks for this review. Have read a few crits on it when I've managed to get an English newspaper and the consensus seems to be that Pacino is outstanding, as you indicate.

Unless my Italian improves extensively, I shall have to wait for a DVD but I look forward to seeing it.

Shirley
  • Re: The Merchant of Venice - Director Michael Radford
    by Zettel at 00:45 on 28 December 2004
    Well worth it Shirley. I read a very interesting intrview/review in the Big Issue here in the UK that quoted Pacino as saying that he was grateful for Radford's strong direction that stopped him from the temptation to 'declaim' to much and to reach the 'balcony'. Just so, but it is interesting that an Actor of Pacino's stature still accepts the discipline of direction.

Good luck with the DVD - the lousy distribution makes it likely for early release I think.

Regards

Zettel