Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Bridget Jones :The Edge of Reason, directed by Beeban Kidron
    by Account Closed at 09:45 on 15 December 2004
    Having seen BJD 1, I wasn’t expecting any surprises in 2. I’d already seen clips of all the ‘funny bits’ and pretty much knew the plot, so I sat back in the comfortable seats, hoping at best, not to be too bored.

So, I'm surprised to admit, I found the film very entertaining. I did laugh and the soundtrack was a real treat. The cinema was packed and in places, the audience burst into spontaneous applause (don’t forget we’re talking snooty Parisians here).

On analysing the success over a bowl of Thai soup, my friends and I found our reaction difficult to qualify. The film was basically a rehash of the first one and was based on one or two visual jokes at the most, e.g. Bridget opens the door looking a state and says something personal and embarrassing in front of a roomful of diplomats/to the wrong person, or over a speaker phone. We know she will cock up and she does; Mark Darcy (Colin Firth) is stiffer and public schoolier than ever; however, Daniel Cleaver (Hugh Grant) is dastardlier this time with some wicked below-the-belt one liners and there is, of course, a great punch-up between the two rivals.

They even manage to turn the drug smuggling and subsequent jail stay in Thailand into a comedy cabaret, although personally, I found this uncomfortable, having seen too many Midnight Express style documentaries on the subject to be able to laugh along.

But somehow, it works.

Lazy? - yes. Formulaic? - totally. Fun? - lots!

All in all, it is a worthy sequel which will find a comfortable place in the annals of cinematographic history, remembered by future students of the ‘British rom-com phenomenon of the late 20th century’ for being co-written by the great Richard Curtis (oh, and maybe for RZ putting on lots of weight too – isn’t she clever!).

As long as they don’t ever think about trying for no 3 – now, that really would be pushing it.
  • Re: Bridget Jones :The Edge of Reason, directed by Beeban Kidron
    by scoops at 11:26 on 15 December 2004
    Well you've certainly talked me round to seeing it. I loved the first BJ film and book, but have not approached the follow up at any level - I thought they'd be flogging a dead horse, but you have disabused me of this preconception:-) shyama
    by Zettel at 11:38 on 15 December 2004
    Els

Pretty much my own reaction. I guess the French liked it 'cos they go for that silly arse knockabout stuff - especially if it's Englishmen being the SA's.

Within his albeit narrow range Hugh Grant is much underestimated and Cleaver is what used be called a charming 'cad'. The fight was priceless: if it went on for another hour, neither would have struck a serious blow. And that makes a nice change.

I did catch Notting Hill on the TV the other night and as it is a long time since I'd seen it, have to say it's still an entertaining rom com that stands up quite well.

Nice balanced review.

Regards

Z
    by Al T at 12:09 on 15 December 2004
    Thanks for the enjoyable review Elspeth. I thought the Thai sequence was far too long, and like you, was also thinking about Midnight Express. However, the skiing scenes were hilarious and made me want to go to Lech more than ever!

This is a great movie to go to on a date, especially if you're trying to send a message to a bloke not to be an emotional fuckwit

Adele.

<Added>

Btw, just in case anyone interprets that as an anti-bloke statement, I should add that I'm told that some women are emotional fuckwits too, but I do know any, and this film doesn't address that topic.

<Added>

I meant I don't know any, or they hide it well.
    by Zettel at 00:31 on 17 December 2004
    Ah Ad....you have a such a way with words.

Love it

Z
    by Al T at 08:33 on 17 December 2004
    Z, hmm, is this some irony I see before me? Thanks anyway. EF is one of Bridget's very own phrases: an invaluable addition to the English language! Whatever did we say before it was coined?

A

by Account Closed at 12:13 on 21 December 2004
    btw, did you notice the jellyfish visual, used to distract us, while they brought in a one-off character to get over an essesntial plot point?

Dunno what Bob'd say about that, eh Ad?
    E!
    by Al T at 15:48 on 21 December 2004
    Ah, so that's what the jellyfish was doing there. I obviously wasn't paying attention (I blame my date )

Adele.