Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• West Wing - Series 4 Channel 4 Fridays 7.35.
    by Zettel at 01:02 on 29 September 2004
    West Wing - Channel 4 Fridays 7.35

Cleverly C4 are finally airing series 4 of this superbly written series at just the point where the fictional President, Jed Bartlett, is seeking re-election. Reversing the actual current presidential race, the incumbent (Bartlett) is a Democrat, his challenger a Republican - we wish!

If you have never seen the series, do give it a look. The ensemble playing of excellent Aaron Sorkin (the show's creator) dialogue developed over some 40 episodes is consistently top class. If at first the fast, snappy dialogue seems a bit flash, (perhaps realistically) give the story lines a chance to unwind and you will regularly find the real moral dilemmas of the exercise of power developed with insight and wisdom.

Unashamedly idealistic, this programme advances the heretical idea that a man of intellect, serious education, knowledge of history and moral integrity might get elected President. (I said it was idealistic). Bartlett is clearly modelled on JFK but is none the worse for that.

May have to watch carefully for the point where Sorkin ceased to write it but until then enjoy.

Zettel September 2004
    See this and other posts at:
    http://zettelfilmreviews.co.uk
    http://twitter.com
    http://pinterest.com/atthemovies/
  • Re: West Wing - Series 4 Channel 4 Fridays 7.35.
    by Bianca at 10:19 on 22 October 2004
    Hi Zettel

Not been on Write Words for about six weeks as moving into restored farmhouse here in Italy but just switched on to your comments on West Wing.

I am addicted to it. Obviously do not get Channel 4 out here but have series 1 to 4 on Video/DVD. Am presently watching Series 4 and it is still compelling watching. It must be brilliant to impress me as I am not a fan of American dramas usually.

I second your comments to all those still to view it. Superb writing.

Shirley
    by Zettel at 23:56 on 25 October 2004
    Hi Shirley

Glad you liked it. Last Friday's episode (Game On) about the fictional presidential debate must be one of the best episodes and for this series that's saying something. It bemusing though: the fiction looks like the reality, and the reality looks like a second rate, badly written soap.

Bartlett for President!

Zettel
    by Bianca at 06:47 on 31 October 2004
    Hi Zettel

I too watched the debate last week (surrounded by boxes I should have been unpacking). Could not agree with you more. In fact, Martin Sheen is so convincing that Jim and I have often said we would vote for him, should he put himself forward - well, he could not be worse than what is on offer! I have watched the two episodes after that and had to force myself to stop there.

A question for you - have you any idea how many series there are. I have read the synopsis of series 4 and from that there is a chance this could be the last. I really hope not - I shall be forced to unpack a few dozen boxes of possessions. I am truly worried that there is no life after The West Wing.

Shirley
    by Zettel at 18:50 on 31 October 2004
    Shirley

Current series 4 not the last as E4 just finished series 5. Need to wacth out for when Aaron Sorkin stops writing it to ensure the quality, spirit and balance is maintained. Even though the series has been doing less well in the US, the marvellous Alison Janney (CJ) still won this year's Emmy for best actress in a drama series.

Regards

Zettel
    by Bianca at 06:14 on 05 November 2004
    Hi Zettel

Thanks for the update. Most of the actors deserve an award as far as I am concerned.

One of the Italian TV Channels (called Jimmy - the name itself gives you an idea of the standard of Italian television) has started series 1. More amazing is the fact that it is being shown in its original form - i.e. not dubbed in Italian without sub titles. I am not sure how it will go down here with a nation that prefers a criminal as its policitcal leader. Another channel shows "Friends" dubbed with harsh, fast speaking Italian voices. The Jimmy channel also shows "Frasier" (which is my favourite comedy) and "Sex and the City", which I've never seen and "The Office" all of which are dubbed. For the life of me I cannot see how the latter translates here as the sense of humour is no non Italian.

Anyway, my mood will lift knowing that I shall have more West Wing for next winter. At the moment we are going through Italy's warmest November in 160 years with temperatures in the mid 20's. Sorry, suppose you do not want to hear that!

Shirley
    by Zettel at 00:17 on 06 November 2004
    Shirley

Green with envy about the sun.

The good news in WW series4 is that Sorkin is still writing it.

Strange this week: the real world looks like the soap and the fiction looks like reality.

Weird

Z
    by Bianca at 07:44 on 07 November 2004
    Zettel

Could not agree more about this week. Sometimes when watching The West Wing I am so involved I really believe Martin Sheen is the US President.

If it makes you feel better, it poured down overnight - especially bad for us as our garden (well building site) was ripped up during the day ready for drainage and now we need wellies to get to the car. Our central heating is not in yet and there is a distinct drop in temperature this morning. Perhaps I should go to Florida - oh no can't do that - I'd be hearing yet more about Bush.

Shirley