Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson
    by SamMorris at 10:42 on 28 September 2004
    In this book travel writer, Bill Bryson, rarely gets any further than his nearest library. Nonetheless, he invites you to accompany him on a whistle-stop voyage of discovery, encompassing the sum of scientific knowledge to date. In a book spanning just 550 pages, this is perhaps his most ambitious journey to date.

Even if, at times, this book feels a little like drinking several strong espressos and sprinting round the Science and Natural History Museums, it is a truly impressive feat of everyman science writing. If you’ve ever fancied wondering at the incredible madness that is the known universe, or pondering on the improbability of existence, then this comes highly recommended.
  • Re: A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson
    by Harry at 11:57 on 28 September 2004
    Quite agree Sam. I enjoyed it very much.
    by SamMorris at 22:25 on 28 September 2004
    Thanks Harry!
    by northofeverywhere at 11:37 on 28 May 2005
    Nice one. I had already read the book so Iw as sneaking in to see if you agreed with my conclusions, which you more or less did.

Anyone who hasn't read Bryson yet should do. Personally I think he's the most entertaining non-fiction author working today.

by Colin-M at 15:36 on 01 June 2005
    I've had this on my shelf since it was first released, but never got round to starting it.

Colin M
    by SamMorris at 10:35 on 02 June 2005
    Thanks noe. I did read Notes On a Small Island as well. I liked this also, but not as much. There was something a bit patronising about it. Perhaps I'm just an oversensitive little Englander

Colin, you should definitely give it a read. Although having said that I've got plenty of books that I've never quite got round to reading yet!
    by di2 at 07:09 on 27 September 2005
    I've just read Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything after buying it as a gift for my 20 year old niece and another for my friend to read to her nine year old son. (Yes I actually purchased the book three times.)

I think I should have read it before I gave it as a gift because if I'd understood what it was all about I wouldn't have given it to two young people to read.

Yes it is an excellent book but some of the facts in it are very unsettling. Particularly the bit about Yellowstone. So unsettling in fact that I think that it may depress a young person (my preference is for a person to remain optimistic for as long as possible, preferrably forever - seeing the world through rose coloured glasses can be a good way to go until you are mature enough to cope).

Probably I'm wrong to be too protective, but after the Tsunami in the Indian Ocean and the Hurricanes in America, the forces of nature are showing us the big picture more clearly - for me, for the first time. I live in Australia the land of sunshine and optimism.

The book is a great read and very enlightening and Bill made the information very accessable via is conversational mode of writing. I loved all the bits about the people who made the discoveries.

Well done Bill Bryson.

In the future I will read the books I intend to give as gifts before I decide who to give it to.

Diane