Login   Sign Up 

This 20 message thread spans 2 pages:  < <   1  2 
  • Re: Basic question of grammar
    by Dee at 20:35 on 13 February 2004
    Len, I was only saying, with verbs in particular, there is such a rich choice, adverbs are not often needed… and that adverbs are too frequently used to prop up a weak verb as an alternative to finding a stronger one…

Dee.
    by Jumbo at 22:12 on 13 February 2004
    Len

As always this demonstrates the difficulty in stating an opinion or giving advice.

But at the risk of covering old ground, there are many inexperienced writers (and I put myself in that category) that believe (or used to believe)the more we spice our writing with adjectives and adverbs the more dramatic and readable that writing will become. But the truth is, unnecessary words can do more to detract than to clarify.

John
    by old friend at 08:45 on 14 February 2004
    Dee and Jumbo.

I can agree with having a Theasaurus and a Dictionary as constant companions and helpmates. I consider these essential to any writer.

I reacted strongly against the 'deletion suggestion' as a piece of advice to 'new writers' for the craft of writing will develop with practice and the person, who will improve and emerge as a 'good' writer, will realise the contribution that each word, phrase, clause and sentence makes to the overall piece. From that they will become constructive critics and good editors of their own work.

I do not think it good advice to suggest singling out adjectives and adverbs (sometimes in parsing it is not easy to clearly label these!) but each and every word needs to be 'looked at' and a good writer will do this automatically.

The more difficult and harder-to-define 'Art' in writing will (not 'may' depend upon the adjectives and adverbs to a large extent. Consider the challenges of Poetry and look at what 'Creative Prose' really means.

The 'remove all adverbs and adjectives' advice is, to me, akin to saying 'delete every fourth word'.

Len

<Added>

The 'smiley' came by accident. I was trying to put a close-bracket sign. Amusing, really when you know what I think about these!
    Len
    by Tabitha at 00:02 on 21 February 2004
    The deletion of adjectives and adverbs is a ridiculous 'rule' that has somehow crept into the UK from the US.

They exist for a reason, which is to qualify a noun or a verb. They're a fabulous, creative and a necessary part of the English language. Yes, if you can find a good verb to replace a poor verb/adverb combination, great. Otherwise, ignore your critcics.
    by Tabitha at 00:06 on 21 February 2004
    Critics.
  • This 20 message thread spans 2 pages:  < <   1  2