Login   Sign Up 

This 21 message thread spans 2 pages:  < <   1  2 
  • Re: Short Chapters
    by Heckyspice at 16:14 on 09 February 2004
    I think the tendency toward short chapters can sometimes match our general moods and trends. Just think about fast food or being able to fast forward videos or dvds. A lot of the world now comes in bite size chunks and it's only natural that literature will at times follow suit.

At the end of the day chapter size doesn't mean a thing, it's the quality of the writing that is important.
    by Dee at 16:30 on 09 February 2004
    YAY!!!!!

IB! Our minds meet at last. The Thomas Covenant Chronicles have been my favourite read for about thirty years. Lost count of the number of times I've read them... brilliant writing... the scope... the characters... superb!

But there are two trilogies: The First Chronicles of Thomas Covenant The Unbeliever and The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant (notably no longer an unbeliever) You must have read the Second? If not, you must!

Dee

<Added>

And well said, Heckyspice... size doesn't matter...

Blimey, with a name like that, you must be from Yorkshire!

;)
    by Account Closed at 17:05 on 09 February 2004
    I am currently reading the second trilogy, although I've recently stopped reading it to get through the David Beckham biography and a lovely book to help my attitude at work called "Positive Thinking".
    by Sue H at 17:10 on 09 February 2004
    Now that has made my day. You're reading a book called positive thinking. Does it work?
    Sue
    by Account Closed at 09:05 on 10 February 2004
    Oh please. I'm far too cynical for that!
    by anisoara at 08:39 on 11 February 2004
    Hi,

I like short chapters, too. What immediately came to mind was Barry Gifford's Wild Life of Sailor and Lula. Each chapter thrusts you into the heart of a moment, and each moment / chapter is separated in time - sometimes by many years. It works, but not for everything.

Anne Marie
  • This 21 message thread spans 2 pages:  < <   1  2