Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Characters and description
    by Traveller at 17:19 on 28 November 2003
    Has anyone started out with a character and then amalgamated it into another existing character in their novel? Do people out there analyse characters for their dramatic potential and discard some that seem boring? Interested in your comments.

Also, does anyone have any tips on methods used for describing details? Do people actively search for detail in their surroundings? How do you decide what to include and exclude from the reader's picture of the scene being built up?
  • Re: Characters and description
    by Nell at 18:52 on 28 November 2003
    Hi Shuab. I've never amalgamated one character into another, so I can't really help with that one.

Describing details - it's difficult to know quite how one does this, but I think that I try to get right into the head of the person whose POV is relevant at that moment, and see through their eyes. What's their state of mind at the time? This would have a bearing on what they'd notice. I try to think of all the senses too, not just sight. One very original and apt observation is worth a wealth of ordinary detail, so if you can find a new way to describe what they're seeing instead of the usual old metaphors similes etc that's good.

When describing a character's appearance I try not to overdo it and leave a little room for the reader's imagination, and if I find on reading through much later that I'm skimming over what been written then I know I have to look very hard at that part.

It's useful to carry a notebook too, then any observation or inspiration won't disappear into the ether.

All the above is just me though, I'm sure there'll be as many different replies to your post as there are members.

<Added>

Look at Sarah's work on site A Woman Eclipsed and others - she's brilliant at description and takes you there.
    by geoffmorris at 18:56 on 28 November 2003
    The most interesting descriptions are weh nthe writer takes the familiar, the everyday and twists it by 180 degrees and brings it out in a new light. Like how a room you've lived in for years looks totally alien when viewed whilst changing a light bulb.

Descriptive language can vary so much though it's impossibel to really give good advice. It all depends on the author, the story and whether it fits the scene. There are some great novels where description is kept to a minimal but overall it's the details that really count.

BY accessing this site you have one of the best sources of inspiration and information. Want to know about cancer, Amazonian tree frogs or the nature of matter then google it. Introduce the reader to the familiar with detail they wouldn't normally be privy to. A fine example of this kind of wirting is a little known novel by an author called Ricky Moody. Purple America uses such wonderfully descriptive prose and he tailors it to fit each and every scene.

On this site you might want to look at Rodino by Graham Povey or anything by the wonderfully talented Jibunnessa. For contrast you might also be interested in the pieces that I have uploaded.

Anyway just some thoughts of mine

Geoff

<Added>

I realyl shuold chekc my tpying :)
    by Traveller at 21:12 on 28 November 2003
    Thanks for your comments Geoff. I'll definitely try to access the 'source of inspiration' as much as possible.

<Added>

was initially being sarcastic but now realise how much useful info is on this website :) my only qualm is the green faces - come on writewords - we want yellow ones!