Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• A very quick question...
    by funnyvalentine at 10:51 on 05 May 2015
    ...womens' fiction length?  100,000?  Is 90,000 better?  

What do you aim for if you write this genre.  I've only done YA before which comes in at a approx 65,000 - 70,000.  Just wondering what I can allow myself as, of course, have mapped out Act 1 but think it looks a little long, then remebered I might have more to play with.

Many thanks in advance and happy Tuesday!
  • Re: A very quick question...
    by Freebird at 12:25 on 05 May 2015
    hmm, not sure - I've never written for adults. I would aim for just under 100,000 probably. I'm sure I read somewhere that once it goes over that, it's too long. Unless it's a weighty tome like Anne Karenina!
  • Re: A very quick question...
    by EmmaD at 18:34 on 06 May 2015
    Most important is that it's the right length for itself. If there isn't a single word that shouldn't be there, and not a single word in there which isn't earning its keep, no one will notice the count. The vast majority will be in the range 75-130,000, say.

Having said that, a sizeable proportion of WF will be between 90,000 and 110,000. But that doesn't mean yours has to be, if it's right for itself.

FWIW, The Mathematics of Love was 141,000, and when I was discussing its successor with my editor, I mentioned that, and she was astonished. She'd no idea it was that long.