Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 22 message thread spans 2 pages:  < <   1  2 
  • Re: Novella vs novel vs short story: differences apart from length?
    by Toast at 19:52 on 18 July 2012
    Maybe I could treat sections of the novel as short stories (albeit ones that don't have closure). Maybe that's better than either the novella or short story idea. Hmmm.

And you were right, Flora, tone was another problem with the first draft that I can see now was all over the place but I don't know that I've learned enough about how to do it, as opposed to how not to do it, to feel confident going forward. I think that's a more easily solvable problem that my protag's (lack of) character going, though.
    by Allana at 16:24 on 19 July 2012
    Interesting discussion this as I have just been thinking along the same lines as Toast.
    I have a short story which reads reasonably well, but the characters definitely need fleshing out more. But to do that would turn the short story into a novella, because I have cut everything else down to the bone (I will probably post it on the short story group soon to see what everyone thinks).

I started out thinking that a novella would be the answer, but after reading the comments here I am not so sure.

From reading in the genre I am attempting (horror) I have found that some of the authors produced their best work as novellas (Stephen King The Mist for example). But thinking about this more, those novellas were probably not accepted for publication until the writer had established themselves as a novelist...

Good luck with your decision Toast, and thanks for starting a thread I found very thought-provoking.
    by Toast at 16:40 on 19 July 2012
    Hi Allana - always good not to feel alone with a problem!

I think you're right that novellas are hard to sell to publishers, but I'm getting the impression from reading blogs about self-publishing of ebooks that short forms (both short stories and novellas) are being used by writers to advertise themselves. They give away the short works or charge only 99p or so for them, and hope that the happy reader will buy their novels. The reader, for their part, is taking less of a risk, both in time and money, to try out a new author.

Even bestselling authors are being forced by their publishers to go this route. Lee Child had to produce a short e-story for his publisher in the run-up to his annual novel being released this September. The story will end with a button for readers to hit to pre-order his novel.
    by Allana at 17:08 on 19 July 2012
    You have been reading the same blogs as me
    One thing that strikes me about this, however, is that those authors publishing novellas and short stories to promote themselves will most likely have works ready which they wish to sell.
    For example, I have seen famous authors selling short story e-books perhaps to appear as a thank you to their loyal readers by giving them something extra.
    But these are established authors.

But where does that leave the likes of you and me who as yet have no novel to offer?
    (and forgive me if I got that last bit wrong, but I am assuming you, like me, haven't published a novel yet).
    by Toast at 17:15 on 19 July 2012
    I agree - we newbies aren't really in a position to benefit from publishing short works at this stage. They're marketing tools for writers with a backlist.
    by Account Closed at 19:27 on 19 July 2012
    Hi, Toast.

I feel your pain, I really do. I don't know how much I can help you, except to say that I've been there, done that, got the T-shirt.

I've dipped my toe in various writerly pools including screenwriting, part of a novel, short stories and poetry. Convinced myself I was sprinter not a marathon runner and that the short story was my natural home. I then - can't quite remember what happened - but I then convinced myself I was actually a poet. Have since re-discovered that my great love is the short story and that is where I am now concentrating my energy.

All of which is of not much use to you except to illustrate that it can, I think, take a lot of running up and down the writerly scale before you really do discover your home.

You have decided that you are a novelist, which is great. But I beseech you to JUST WRITE and you will learn from every sentence you commit to paper (or computer screen). Jot down notes as you perambulate through life, write shorts, write poems, do 'morning pages' if they suit you (I don't, those who do will expand upon this if you haven't heard of it). By all means, start another novel. You have clearly learned, through the novel you have already attempted, so so much about yourself as a writer and how you should (and shouldn't write a novel). Trust that you have already learned much that is greatly useful to you. The more you write, the more the threads of writing will unravel and make themselves clear to you. Write, and may the force be with you.

I like you, Toast. And not only because I think of the song whenever I see your name. You have a great attitude and I get the feeling you can write and will find your way.

I haven't posted here for ages, but I really felt moved to respond to your thread. And not just because it's sunny and Sainsburys had a good offer on bottled beer this arvo.

There are at least two people here who think I'm the late unlamented Greentown. I'm not, but there's every chance that saying so will convince people that I really am! Ah well.

All the best, Toast. You are definitely going in the right direction. Write and all will be revealed - writing is a mysterious business and the fog only clears when you do it, do it, do it.

Jan

<Added>

Oh, and read, read, read. If you lack the time to read whole novels, read the openings of novels on Amazon. Very useful exercise.
    by Toast at 22:01 on 19 July 2012
    Thanks, janmb, that was a lovely, encouraging post. You're right, all we can do is keep on trucking.
  • This 22 message thread spans 2 pages:  < <   1  2