Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Flash Fiction?
    by riotous at 12:25 on 11 September 2003
    Don't know if this is the right plce to ask this question but here goes - does anyone here write flash fiction? and will such things be ok to workshop here?
  • Re: Flash Fiction?
    by Nell at 12:45 on 11 September 2003
    I did submit the one and only piece I've ever written to the-phone-book.com but it wasn't accepted and apparently they're finishing after the next lot of submissions.

I don't see why on earth you shouldn't post your pieces here, the poets post short works after all. Personally I enjoy Flash Fiction.
    by riotous at 13:49 on 11 September 2003
    That's encouraging! thank you. I didn't know about the phone book closing though I am not surprised! I have posted a flash now. took the risk!
    by riotous at 15:19 on 11 September 2003
    thanks Nell. seem to have run into somthing interetsing. the idea of how long is flash fiction? as posted elsewhere to IB I said: flash fiction according to my understanding which is garnered from others who either publish it or write it - can be anything from 50-1000. personally I think 750 is max. 100-150 words is usually spoken of as 'micro-fiction'. most people who publish short stories do not look at anything under 1000 words. It seems to be an american phenomena in its current style! (as opposed to the old 'prose-poem'

what do you think? as I said this is my understanding of it from dealing with people who publish or write it.
    by Account Closed at 16:53 on 11 September 2003
    I suppose the question is, when does a piece of flash fiction become a short story?

Is it worthwhile making the distinction? Probably not.