Login   Sign Up 

• Show AND Tell
    by geoffmorris at 23:20 on 05 August 2004
    I've been thinking about this whole show not tell malarkey over the past couple of weeks.

If you're telling someone your story in the first person then surely telling is as equally valid as showing. To blindly follow this rule is folly, isn't it?

One of my favourite authors is very much of the tell camp.

So come on let's have it

Geoff
  • Re: Show AND Tell
    by Nell at 10:54 on 06 August 2004
    Geoff, all 'show' becomes quite tiring to read, all 'tell' is boring. I tend to favour a mixture of the two. Sometimes one needs to 'tell' a bit of backstory, or something necessary but less important. I've noticed too that some best-selling authors seem to be able to ignore the guidelines about 'show and tell', repetition, over-use of adverbs and adjectives with impunity. It makes me cringe. Perhaps once you become a best-seller you can write exactly as you like.
    by Ticonderoga at 12:45 on 06 August 2004
    Nell - apropos, have you read (any of) the Da Vinci Code?! If not, don't! It'll make your soul curl.....

Mike
    by eyeball at 14:04 on 06 August 2004
    I keep hearing that about Da Vinci code. Is it really that bad? I'm going to have to get hold of it just to find out.

Talking about breaking rules and getting away with it, I just bought Nic Kelman's 'Girls' (probably the rudest book I've read for some time) and read it all on the day I bought it. It has no plot, just a series of vignettes about older men chasing (and catching) very young girls, and musings on their motives. It's written in 2nd person present (or sometimes future) tense, the voice people use to distance themselves from their own emotions and actions; it gets away with four successive sentences beginning 'because words are...' I can't imagine someone writing this and sending it out expecting it to be picked up; it just breaks so many rules. But it's absolutely rivetting. Mad, angry, cold ~ Nick Hornby with fangs.

But to get back to your point. I think it's sometimes hard to know what's showing and what's telling. It's only when it's OBVIOUS that a writer is telling you something, something you should be able to work out for yourself, that it really does damage.

Sharon
    by halfwayharry at 15:45 on 06 August 2004
    I have just started reading 'How Green was my valley' by Richard Lllewellyn. It's a beautifully written book with a mixture of showing and telling. For example:

[quoute]You could chew that toffe for hours, it seems to me now, and never lost the taste of it, and even after it had gone down, you could swallow and still find the taste hiding behind your tongue.

by Account Closed at 16:57 on 06 August 2004
    I think that when I read something, and get the sense of what it is without being told, I feel impressed. In Neil Gaiman's 'American Gods' there are some beautiful examples of this. I could be readng a chapter and just smile at how he conveyed something without actually saying it.

But I agree that a combination of the two is best. If it was all show, we may as well just pack up and start making movies instead.

That 'Girls' book sounds creepy.

JB
    by eyeball at 17:30 on 06 August 2004
    Oh it is. It's a dirty old Łu<|<ers book, although Kelman himself looks very young and cute.
    by Nell at 18:45 on 06 August 2004
    Mike, I've haven't read any of The Da Vinci Code; at the moment I'm reading Partrick White's The Vivisector, and if I tell you that I'm almost resorting to the f word here in order to find an adjective strong enough to describe how brilliant the writing is you'll know just how stunning a writer this man was.

Sharon, agree totally about your OBVIOUS observation. That's the test.

<Added>

What's happened to the formatting on this page?

<Added>

Sharon, in case of misunderstanding, I didn't mean that your observation was itself obvious!!!...:)
    by eyeball at 20:27 on 06 August 2004
    I think we got stuck in a quote box warp, Cap'n. Let's try this.

<Added>

<Added>

I think that made it worse
    by Nell at 11:21 on 07 August 2004

<Added>

Howzat?
    by Nell at 11:23 on 07 August 2004
    Perhaps if we make it to a new page it will right itself.
    by Nell at 11:24 on 07 August 2004
    How did I manage to do that?
    by Nell at 11:24 on 07 August 2004
    OK, I give up now.
    by Becca at 21:03 on 09 August 2004
    I don't know if this will right the page. I don't think Pete's example from 'How Green was my Valley' was exposition, but reflection. Expositon is when the flow of a story is interrupted in order to give an explanation of something that it's assumed the reader hasn't picked up already from the rest of the story,.. a sort of extra insurance to get the message across.
    Becca.