Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 34 message thread spans 3 pages:  < <   1   2  3 
  • Re: Why do we do it ?
    by Nell at 15:15 on 27 July 2003
    You wouldn't believe it was all recycled if you walked along Brighton beach to the east of the Palace Pier (I refuse to call it by its new and stupid name) after stormy weather. I only hope the poor dolphins have more sense than to eat colostomy bags. Oh dear, something else to worry about...
    by Lisa at 15:30 on 27 July 2003
    I too am I Brighton lass (or was until recently)... I insist on calling the pier Palace Pier too. I think it's awful the way they changed the name as if West Pier never esxisted. I was in Brighton last week - it's so sad to see the blackened skeleton that is now the West Pier.
    That's inspiration for a poem if ever there was.

Lisa
    by Nell at 16:38 on 27 July 2003
    You're right Lisa - it's very sad, and all due to the incompetence and neglect of the council. People come especially to gaze at it too, so the poor skeleton is a tourist attraction in itself. I did describe the West Pier and the mass of starlings that used to swirl above it in a novel (unpublished), and often wonder where they all went after it was burned.
    by Lisa at 16:47 on 27 July 2003
    Funnily enough - our conversation did in fact lure me into writing a poem about that very subject - the pier and the starlings.

It's called "Black Petticoats" and I've uploaded it a few moments ago to the Poetry II group.

Your feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Lisa

• This 34 message thread spans 3 pages:  < <   1   2  3