Login   Sign Up 

• Synopsis
    by Shadowgirl at 20:27 on 07 July 2003
    Can anyone give me some advice on writing a synopsis for my novel, A Letter from England. I am having such terrible trouble. I think the main problem is that because I know the storyline and characters so well, I cannot stand back enough to be objective. I have put it aside for several weeks, but still am not happy with it. Also I feel I over explain, and/or miss out important facts - I am not at all sure it makes sense.
    Also as it is a character driven novel, I have problems outlining the plot because it seems that dramatic things don't actually happen, so much takes place inside the characters heads. This comes across as so boring when written in a few lines of a synopsis - although hopefully in the novel itself it is gripping (??!!).
    I would be grateful for any help - infact if I post my synopsis effort, would anyone be prepared to be honest enough to point me in the right direction and tell me where I am going wrong (because I know I am).
    Thanks!

Shads
  • Re: Synopsis
    by Jubbly at 07:23 on 08 July 2003
    Why don't you start by writing what you'd expect to read on the jacket of your book if it was published and you were browsing in a shop. Write what grabs you, what the story is in essence and what would make the reader want to buy it. Once you've done that you may find you don't need to write down every little detail that occurs , leave some surprises. In fact try the old exercise of describing your book in one sentence. Say it aloud to people, gage their reaction, are their eyes glazing over? If so , at what point? Your synopsis really doesn't need to be any more than one page, double spaced, of course. Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Jubbly
    by stephanieE at 10:23 on 08 July 2003
    Shadowgirl - I will comment on your synopsis too, but I thought I would offer some advice that I received when I asked a similar question. There are many different sorts of synopsis (synopses?) and many different names for them. I have taken to doing the following, which seems to work OK.

1 A Hook or Pitch line
    A single sentence, no more than 25 words that encapsulates your story with panache. (Perhaps: a coming of age tale, set in late 20th Century Newfoundland, infused with dark overtones, as the heroine recalls the sinister events of her youth...)

You can put this is the covering letter to publishers.

2 An outline
    A paragraph which sets out the bones of the story, mentions the major characters names, and essentially tells you if it has a happy ending or not. Anything up to 300 words.

3 A full synopsis
    A sequential telling of the tale, from start to end, listing the major events, the feel of the story perhaps. This is an opportunity for you to show your 'voice' a little - if you want to use lyrical prose you can. Anything from a single page to three pages (but any more tends to be off-putting for editors!)

As I say, I don't think there are consistent rules - if you are planning to submit to a publisher, ask them what they would prefer to see. Or, if you can find a friendly agent, ask their advice.

Hope this is useful
    by Becca at 13:36 on 08 July 2003
    Steph, I found what you wrote interesting and handy to know, even though I may never have to do one.
    by noddy at 19:13 on 08 July 2003
    Hi Shads,
    I was about to post the same thing myself. I've had real problems with writing a synopsis and look forward to reading some comments from some of the experts out there.

I found the attached link a couple of weeks ago, but I'm not sure whether it's on the right lines or whether it's too greatly simplified.

http://www.poewar.com/articles/overcoming.htm

Rgds
    Nod
    by Shadowgirl at 21:47 on 08 July 2003
    Thanks Jubbly! Good advice and thanks for the good luck wishes. I fear my one sentence may have a few commas in it though - but actually I really good idea!

Best wishes
    Shads
    by Shadowgirl at 21:50 on 08 July 2003
    That's VERY useful Steph actually - VERY. I have printed your post out to refer to it, I can't thank you enough for taking the time to help me like this.
    Only one problem....friendly agent....where???? I want one NOW!!

Thanks again
    Shads
    by Shadowgirl at 21:54 on 08 July 2003
    Hi Nod!

Oh you too huh? Difficult isn't it? Is this for 'Changeling', or another novel? Good luck anyway. Do you get to the stage where you just want to say "Oh forget this, can't they just read the book instead!"

Thanks for the link - can't be TOO simple for me!

Best wishes
    Shads
    by noddy at 23:37 on 08 July 2003
    Hi Shads,
    Yup. That's exactly how I feel. I've been playing with the synopsis for Changeling for the past couple of months, but really went at it big-time over the week-end... analysing every word and sentence a thousand times over. I reckon there's an opportunity out there for 'professional synopsis writers'... much like CV writers. Spend an hour on the telephone giving them a run-down and then get them to do the rest... got to be worth a few quid, I reckon.

I read your synopsis on the archive and it made perfect sense to me. Sounds like a fascinating story... lots of weave-writing. Look forward to seeing it in the airport bookstall one day!

Cheers
    Nod
    by Shadowgirl at 23:56 on 09 July 2003
    Oh Nod - thanks so much!!! Airport bookstall - WOW!

You are so right, some one out there could make a fortune, there's a gap in the market for sure!

Good luck with yours - don't you just hate it when you spend hours making a few changes and then the next day decide it was better the first way after all!

Best wishes
    Shads