Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 47 message thread spans 4 pages: 1  2   3   4  > >  
  • Getting a grip on your shorts.
    by Becca at 06:52 on 25 June 2004
    I don't know if anyone else has done this, but I've found it really useful. It's sitting down with a list of all the short stories you've written, that you think work, and trying to analyse what links them together. In my case I tend to write stories about delusion and obsession, and or people trapped in strange relationships. It means that if I were to try an present a single author anthology to a publishing house I'd be sure about what I had to say about my work. Publishers like 'themes'. It also gives you a clearer idea of where you want to head next. Interestingly, going through my old newspaper clippings, I found the catagories I could put them in were more or less the same. I think you have to have 20 or more stories to make any sense out of doing this, but I do recommend it.
    Becca.
  • Re: Getting a grip on your shorts.
    by Account Closed at 16:43 on 25 June 2004
    Good idea, Becca. Often you don't realise what your themes are until you've written about them several times. I notice it's one of the questions asked to writers in the interviews sections.
    Elspeth
    by Dee at 18:23 on 25 June 2004
    Great idea Becca.

I’ve started thinking about improving my short story writing and this is a damned good base to start from. The main problem is that I don’t have many shorts and at least six of them have been generated by the monthly RLG. The only thread running through them is a damned weird opening line!

Dee
    by Colin-M at 19:00 on 25 June 2004
    I keep my stories in two different files "SHORT STORIES - GOOD" and "SHORT STORIES - CRAP". Interestingly, the crap ones are quite entertaining, they are mainly things I've banged out without really thinking about them. The RLG's come into this category; they are fun, but not really useable for anything else.

However, I did discover a theme going through most of them - but I'm a wee bit ashamed to mention it.

Colin M
    by Dee at 19:04 on 25 June 2004
    yeah right... we all know about your theme, Colin, so no need to be shy.

by Colin-M at 19:30 on 25 June 2004
    Er, best admit to it before people get the wrong idea. Punchlines - everything seems to pull towards a punchline. I sometimes find it an effort not to. In fact, I've just done it again. I've just (like five minutes ago) written a flash fiction piece (GIFT - the week challenge that I always forget to do).

I'm uploading it now. See for yourself.

sorry.

Colin M
    by Becca at 20:35 on 25 June 2004
    Colin M, I want to know what the theme is. I do. What is it then, mate?
    Becca.
    by Becca at 20:37 on 25 June 2004
    Elsbeth, is it? I hadn't noticed that, like what do you write about?
    Becca.
    by Colin-M at 20:43 on 25 June 2004
    Punchlines! I put it up there in my last post. You must have missed it. I can't help it, I always end up making stories into long winded jokes. I think WARTS AND ALL was probably the most groan-worthy example.

I blame Alexei Sayle

Colin M
    (not for everything, just the punchline thing)
    by Account Closed at 20:52 on 25 June 2004
    Here goes:
    Longevity of relationships, habits, routines, coping techniques.

Relationships in general: mother/daughter, siblings, m/f

Human relations - the way people treat each other, use and abuse, insincerity

Supermarkets (!)

Staying vs leaving (place or person)

Coincidences, serendipity

Random acts of love or hate and the knock on effects

and finally, how who we are is defined by what we do (for a living)

Anyone else?
    Els

<Added>

Oh, and TV and our love/hate relationship with it.
    by Becca at 21:02 on 25 June 2004
    Dee,
    before I even start to write this I beg cravenly for forgiveness, but I have had a problem with RLG, ( rigid legged girls?) Because while I think it's really good to get a tide of writing going, what it dismisses is the idea that what you're inspired to write about comes out of your own unique perception of how the world is. I used, when having no stories on the go and feeling like a plastic bag caught in a leafless tree, to make myself write the next morning about the last word that came into my mind as I fell asleep. And out of that came some canny stories. But it was what came out of my own thinking. I don't deny the relevance of giving a one liner and saying do it! do the writing! because it keeps us exercised. But I do think it's important to keep in mind why we are writing, and tackle that big thing and give it more credence than doing doggy paddle exercises.
    I guess you really hate me now.

And the other thing, to be absolutely honest with you, is that the exercise group then has 'mates' who are always going to applaud them, - it's just human nature. Therefore you could get into a state of euphoria about the work you did that actually wasn't that good, (dry old stick talking here). You're going to hate me double time now, but it's OK if you do, because I've just discovered a small piece of the day called 'Trumpet Time', when big bears wait for their lunch. Just an idea anyway, I hope it's got legs.
    Becca.
    by Becca at 21:32 on 25 June 2004
    Elspeth, I don't know why I asked you that, I think I do know what you write about. But it's interesting isn't it, that if we were on the spot and asked that question, maybe not all of us could answer it. And maybe we should be able to.
    Becca.
    by Colin-M at 23:15 on 25 June 2004
    Becca,

I thought "canny" was a geordie term. Are you from up here, or is a univeral thing?

Colin M
    by Al T at 23:19 on 25 June 2004
    Becca, you seem to be implying above that if you don't like something, then it can't possibly be any good, and that if other people think it is, then they must be deluded. What, to me, makes the world interesting, is that people have different tastes, interests and values. Do you find that a problem? Or am I misinterpreting what you said?

Adele.
    by old friend at 07:05 on 26 June 2004
    Becca,

The only 'linkage' I find with my stories is a style, for the obvious reason they have been created by the same pen. I honestly do not believe that there is any point in trying to establish if one's work has any 'links' beyond that.

Be content in your widespread creativity and your freedom to express; there is a risk that if one makes a 'discovery' of the sort you mention, this may get in the way of future work.

I question whether publishers look for 'themes'; they do look for style and quality of work. I am sure that if you were to tell a publisher that your 'themes' are 'delusion, oppression and trapped people', you would not receive the best welcome.

As regards your suggestion for collecting newspaper clippings, I think this is very good.
    An analysis of these would give you a clear idea of what interests you - what catches your eye - what ignites that spark of creativity. However it is what you do with that spark that really matters and I don't think 'links' should get in your way.

Anyway, interesting subject and one that is subject to subjective interpretation.

<Added>

May I add that I have never been aware of the 'links' when reading your stories. I think they are very creative.

Len
  • This 47 message thread spans 4 pages: 1  2   3   4  > >