Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Poetry Reading - Any Tips?
    by Al T at 20:23 on 24 June 2004
    Hi guys, I wondered if any of you more experienced folk had any tips on reading poetry aloud in front of an audience. I've never done that before, but may be doing it soon (if I can pluck up the courage). The poem in question is short and humorous.

Thanks in advance,

Adele.

P.S. Yes, I am watching the match, but with my laptop on my knee. Go Engerland!!!
  • Re: Poetry Reading - Any Tips?
    by Silverelli at 20:40 on 24 June 2004
    Watch any episode of Russel Simmon's Def Poetry Jam. It'll show you the way it should be done.
    by Al T at 20:43 on 24 June 2004
    Thanks Adam, but I'm afraid I've never heard of him. I don't think he's made it over the Pond yet.
    by Silverelli at 20:45 on 24 June 2004
    I work with a guy who has a couple published books poetry and has been a national finalist a bunch of times in competition and I showed him my advice. He says I'm wrong. He says just go up there and read what you wrote.
    by Al T at 20:46 on 24 June 2004
    He says just go up there and read what you wrote.

Any chance of any elaboration there?
    by Silverelli at 20:50 on 24 June 2004
    He says you have read it like you believe it. You have to come across as caring.
    If it's a sad poem, read it sadly.
    If it's a sexy poem, read it like your horny.
    If it's an angry poem, read it with anger.

Any help?
    by Al T at 20:53 on 24 June 2004
    Yes, thanks Adam - I like the new leaf

Any other tips would also be most welcome. I know that several WW members have lots of experience in this area.
    by olebut at 21:11 on 24 June 2004
    Adele

If you are going to read it ensure that the page / book or whatever is in front of you and slightly to one side so you are looking at your audience and not obvioulsy down at the page but equally dont hold the book in front of your face.that will put the audienc eoff and make you sound muffled

You need to project your voice forward towards the audience not down towards your shoes ( they will have heard the poem several times before)

If you can learn the poem and do it form memory using the book if necessary as a prompt but better to be word perfect. It may be worth practicing reading it aloud into a tape recorder YES everybody hates heraing their own voice but the voice you hear wont be the one the audience hears.

If you read it several times you will getthe pitch of your voice right and hopefully all the necessary inflections DONT WORRY if each time you recite it it sounds different from the previous time with different inflections etc.

BE Natural but if you have a fairly low voice you will need to raise it half an octive or so and probably speed up your normal speaking voice or it may sound too slow and ponderous.

At the end of the day be YOURSELF don't worry if you stumble over a word or make a mistake if it is a huge mistake just apologise and do the line again if it is trivial then just keep going

you will be fine

break a leg

David
    by Silverelli at 22:34 on 24 June 2004
    Poetry is truth. Convince the audience you are telling the truth, and they will want to listen.
    by Al T at 22:49 on 24 June 2004
    David, many thanks for the great tips. I think learning by heart is a really good idea as the poem is so short. Actually, I should 'fess up and say that the poem in question is my RLG5 contribution. Which leads me to Adam's advice: the truth is that I am a woman, and not the rather strange man who also appears in my ditty. I can pretend though. Method acting, why not?

I will decide in the next couple of days whether to go ahead with this or not and let you know.

On the footie, at least everyone can say that we woz robbed

Adele.