Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Novel writing courses
    by Account Closed at 09:08 on 05 June 2004
    Can anyone recommend an intensive novel writing course? Has anyone tried or considered Kathryn Haig's? (see interview section)

Elspeth
  • Re: Novel writing courses
    by Dee at 10:36 on 05 June 2004
    I’ve just read the interview, Elspeth. I like the sound of her and the course looks attractive. I might check out some more details.

Funnily enough I was just looking at some TNW news this morning and they are advertising a Writers Bureau competition. I followed the link and saw that they are now offering a specific novel/short story correspondence course. I enrolled on one of their standard courses a couple of years ago and found it tremendously helpful. My tutor was supportive and encouraging but he told me straight if he thought something wasn’t up to standard. Like most people, I didn’t finish the course but I feel I got my money’s worth. I’m half tempted by this new one.

www.writersbureau.com/resources.htm

Dee.
    x

<Added>

Let's try that again!

http://www.writersbureau.com/resources.htm
    by Account Closed at 12:17 on 05 June 2004
    Thanks Dee, I'm tempted. I quite fancied something short and away from the home with real people rather than virtual ones but this course does sound good.

btw, have you ever entered their short story comp?
    Elspeth
    by Dee at 12:23 on 05 June 2004
    Not yet, but it was the comp details I was looking for. I was thinking about entering ‘Risen’ but I got sidetracked by the rest of the site and completely forgot.

Thanks for the reminder!

Dee
    x
    by anisoara at 15:37 on 05 June 2004
    Elspeth --

I don't have any recommendations, but like you, I am looking for something! I am going on the Writers' Holiday in Wales the last week of July, then I hope to do something inthe aumtumn. Hopefully an intensive residential course. Though I will also probably enroll in a long-term course, either local or internet-based.

Any more recommendations out there?

Ani
    by eyeball at 08:38 on 18 June 2004
    Hi Elspeth
    Have you looked at the Arvon Foundation courses

http://www.arvonfoundation.org/

I was thinking of going on one, but I'm hesitating. Bit nervous, I think.

Sharon
    by anisoara at 08:56 on 18 June 2004
    Eyeball --

I'm glad you posted that. Although I seem to visit the Arvon site rather often, I think I am going to see if they still have space on the 29 November course (Fiction: Writing and Rewriting).

Ani
    by Account Closed at 10:43 on 18 June 2004
    Hi all,
    Thanks for the tips. I've taken the plunge and signed up with tht Writers Bureau - thanks a lot Dee. My huge pack of books came through the other day and I'm going to attack my first assignment. It's all very exciting and hopefully will lead to bigger things...
    Elspeth
    Oh, I chose it because it covers all aspects of writing, it's flexible and there are a lot of assignments which are corrected by professional writers.
    by Anna Reynolds at 13:45 on 18 June 2004
    Arvon are fabulous, all their tutors are professional writers, usually quite high-profile people who really know what they're talking about- they can prove it, and they're usually very experienced at teaching/editing/working with less experienced writers.
    by Dee at 17:33 on 18 June 2004
    Ani, where is the November course being held? If it's Lumb Bank I practically live on the doorstep.

Dee
    x

by darkstar at 17:51 on 18 June 2004
    I'm booked in to the November writing and rewriting course - it's at Totleigh Barton in Devon.

Cas
    by anisoara at 18:03 on 18 June 2004
    Dee, the Arvon writing and rewriting course is at Totleigh Barton in Devon. Next door to me, since I'm in Cornwall! When I called this morning, they said the course was full, but they've got me on their waiting list! (So darkstar, there's a slim chance I'll see ya there!)

I'd love to do a course at Lumb Bank, too. The course brochure for 2005 will be out in January!

Ani