Login   Sign Up 

This 49 message thread spans 4 pages:  < <   1   2   3  4 
  • Re: How hard do you work?
    by eyeball at 08:27 on 22 May 2004
    RE: Faith instead ~ yes, that's how I look at it. You can draw on whatever beliefs you want to from Zen to Sufi to Pueblo Indian, but all they are there for is to express a mysterious core feeling that you can't get at any other way.

The 'structure of the soul' stuff Hubbard came up with sounds very Egyptian. I found a site by Ramona Louise Wheeler which describes the Egyptian concept of nine elements to the self, which is very subtle. And I suppose Hubbard's reincarnation ideas come from any number of eastern religions. But what's wrong with that. Religions steal each other's ideas all the time.

I agree with you about the big contradiction in Christianity. Seeing all the fuss around Gibson's Passion, (which I didn't go to see) really brought it home to me that Christianity is rooted in this horrendous act of torture; what does that say about the culture that grew from it?

Anyway, you're probably fed up with this subject. I can burble on for hours; thank you for indulging me.

How did we get here from 'how hard do you work?'

Sharon

P.S. Congrats on your deal! I only saw the post last night.
    by Becca at 08:17 on 23 May 2004
    JB, you have a rich store of possible stories having been in SA at that time, and didn't Mandela get released around 1994? I was in Tanzania at the time, but I did have a radio, and batteries still working. Also with your home background, another rich store of possible stories. In a funny way for the business of writing it's almost unfair that some people have, by chance circumstances, peculiar life experiences. Although I know how hard it is to write about things too close to you. Love to read about some of it though, if you've a mind to write it.
    Becca.
    by Account Closed at 16:42 on 25 May 2004
    I could (and maybe one day will) write about the all white military school I went to for four years. Now there is a horror story but I find it difficult to think about let alone live through again. A few people have suggested this to me over the years.

Mandela was freed in 1990. He became leader of the ANC in 1991. Those memories are blurred for me because a) I had fled national service to Botswana just before that time and b) I've never really been that interested in politics, so a lot of my views are retrospective.

Like a lot of people, when you grow up in certain circumstances, you just accept them blindly. Apartheid, the things I saw happen around me, I could never accept as I grew older and realised what was going on. You see Soweto for the first time, and it changes you for life, if you have any kind of heart.

I know I've had a remarkable life so far, but I don't regret anything. It's just the way it was/is. Here's to further adventures!

JB

by Becca at 19:11 on 25 May 2004
    Good on you, JB
    Becca.
  • This 49 message thread spans 4 pages:  < <   1   2   3  4