Random Read

This 49 message thread spans 4 pages:  < <   1   2  3  4  > >  
  • Re: How hard do you work?
    by Account Closed at 11:38 on 21 May 2004
    Yes, but then, I guess some people were just born reactionary

JB
    by Davy Skyflyer at 11:41 on 21 May 2004
    Yeah but Steven maybe my rant would be laughable to a Scientologist, and maybe we're missing out. But maybe not. They are not dangerous, or in any way a cult of the David Koresh, Waco, Texas variety, and I probably should have made that clear. I feel like a bit of a cult for basically publically defaming Wax's parents who I've never met and really should haved kept my big mouth clamped shut! I think I got what I deserved with Waxy's reply! Hubbard, in my opinion, was counting the cash to his grave, but then, what the fuck do I know? Maybe he was an alien, thus his talent at writing sci-fi (he's a good fiction writer). Who knows? It was a heady time in the sixties, with alot of ideas and philosophies flying about. Maybe he thought this really was the way forward for the human race. Who bloomin' knows? I've read Dianetics, and found it hard to stomach. That's where I should leave it me thinks!

But I like your idea about putting a couple in the zombie story...

Dav

by Account Closed at 11:42 on 21 May 2004
    waxy, would it please you if I reacted? lol Do you have a reactionary word count then?

Steven

<Added>

And just to make clear, I was not defaming waxy's parents in any way, how could I, I don't even know them. Each to their own, but please, I don't keep an open mind for it to be brainwashed by religious cults.
    by Account Closed at 11:50 on 21 May 2004
    And Dav, you gotta put some Scientologist's in your Nazi story, pa-leaassse, for me! I think it would be wicked for you to do so. It would be super scary! *shudders* [again].

Steven
    by Account Closed at 11:51 on 21 May 2004
    No, and that is absolutely your right. But when you start knocking other people's beliefs, aren't you just trying to influence people in another direction?

It is all a matter of personal opinion.

JB

<Added>

Lol. Just make sure you don't get sued for libel if you do! I mean, I'm hardly an innocent - I have a fair old lampooning of Christianity going on in my current series of stories, and as a buddhist zen neo-christian muslim satanist monk of the church of latter day saints and sinners, I really have to watch my step :)

JB
    by Account Closed at 11:59 on 21 May 2004
    As you say waxy, yes, it is just a matter of a personal opinion. A coin has two sides, different people have different opinions. I'm not trying to influence anyone, I'm not that kind of person. And I'm knocking scientology, not you.

I now know what scientology is, and I'm glad. I would have gone around with blinders on to the world, thinking things like this just didn't happen. But it's clear that they do.

And my personal opinion isn't being reactionary, unless you see personal disagreement as a form of a reactionary mind. I just see it as my personal opinion. Nothing more.

Steven

by Account Closed at 12:04 on 21 May 2004
    It's just something that's dogged me all my life Steven, this scientology thing. Like I said, I'm not into it in any way shape or form, yet it is sometimes difficult not to take it personally because of my family. Were it not for this natural circumstance, I'm sure I'd be just as vocal as you.

JB
    by Account Closed at 12:08 on 21 May 2004
    waxy, I understand mate, you can have one of my shoulders any time you need to lean on it, cry on it, or whatever. Just as long as I get it back.

Steven
    by Account Closed at 14:10 on 21 May 2004
    So now I'm a cannibal? Yummy! Lol.

JB
    by Account Closed at 14:49 on 21 May 2004
    Yuck, don't, lol. I had a burger for lunch, my stomach feels queasy enough. Urgh - cannibalism.

Steven
    by Becca at 19:07 on 21 May 2004
    Adele, hellooo out there! fair comment on people who don't maybe need much sleep. I hadn't thought of it as a straight through for a couple of months idea, more that she wrote 16 hours a day, full stop. It was a rather snide comment I made about her, I know. Shouldn't do it.

JB, when you say you grew up under apartheid, do you mean in SA?
    Becca.
    by Al T at 19:52 on 21 May 2004
    Oops, the Le Carre` book I meant was The Spy who came in from the Cold
    by Account Closed at 20:15 on 21 May 2004
    Yes Becca. My dad and our family emigrated to Johannesburg in 1984 and I returned to Britain in 1990.

JB
    by eyeball at 20:21 on 21 May 2004
    Wax ~ re: religion

Yeah, I'm with you there. Not knocking the scientologists or anyone else. I'm just interested in how all the different beliefs hang together, how they all emerge from human minds and human cultures. I think it's fascinating the way the stories people tell about creation and the realities of existence influence what they do and how they live.
    I skimmed some lit about scientology recently and it did seem to have that reprogramming beliefs and behaviour kind of angle that you get with Transactional analysis and neuro-linguistic programming; it seemed more like a psychotherapy than a religion, but as I say I was skimming. I was wondering if that was how you found it.
    I don't know about religion being a crutch; I guess any belief could be seen that way. Any system of ideas we have about the world is a way of keeping the chaotic reality at bay, whether it's religion, or science or the tooth fairy. And some religions aim at stripping that away. No?
    Sharon
    by Account Closed at 20:44 on 21 May 2004
    Yes, Sharon, as much as it galls me to, I must agree...

Nah, I'm only kidding. You're right. Some religions are more about becoming more 'you'. From what I know of scientology it is a kind of a 'mind job' religion. It works to free people from past life and present life experiences which they call 'engrams' which they believe halt the natural progress and development of the soul, or 'thetan' as they term it.

I'm not an expert, and the description is probably very layman, but you get the idea.

I think a lot of religions and concepts look good (or not) on paper.

It's down to how an individual uses the information that counts. A lot of people are afraid, and to combat that fear, they crave a sense of belonging to something, or need to believe they are 'better' than the people around them, such as born again Christians, whatever.

I'm not knocking their beliefs, however, I've never met one who wasn't pious and holier than thou. The basic premise being 'join us or burn in hell forever'...somehow sits uneasily alongside the 'loving' and 'forgiving' god ideal.

It's certainly interesting to discuss. My own personal belief is that belief is for losers, because no one can ever really know. I have faith intsead, and I am my OWN religion.

JB
  • This 49 message thread spans 4 pages:  < <   1   2  3  4  > >