Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 26 message thread spans 2 pages:  < <   1  2 > >  
  • Re: How does your writing make you feel?
    by Account Closed at 11:57 on 04 May 2004
    Insane Bartender, oh THAT. I get them all the time. No worries.

James, why despondent?

Steven
    by James Anthony at 12:21 on 04 May 2004
    Steven, not just depondent.

Swiftly followed by frustrated, annoyed and ultimately depressed.

That's the problem when you want to write but you're pretty sure you don't have the necesasry talent for it I'm afraid!
    by Account Closed at 15:06 on 04 May 2004
    James, stop downing yourself and start believing in what you write! For starters, all the best writers didn't just start off penning bestsellers when they'd just started, did they?

It takes time and effort to build up your own writing, and not to mention your own confidence. Weren't you the writer on here that was on about that solar flare thing, the one that reminded me of The Day The Earth Caught Fire? That was a really good idea, go with it, run with it, take it to its limit and see what happens. Or am I thinking of another writer?

Either way, start believing in what you write. And I don't just mean believing in your WRITING, actually BELIEVE in the story that you're writing, and your writing will have more realism.

Steven
    by Account Closed at 15:07 on 05 May 2004
    That's good advice he's giving you. If you don't believe in what you are doing, believe me, nobody else will.

To have doubts about your art is natural. The image of the tortured artist comes from this idea that we are all racked with uncertainty about the things we produce. Just remember, you can't please everyone, and if you like it, you're well placed to understand that someone else will too.

James x
    by James Anthony at 15:17 on 05 May 2004
    No, I believe in what I am trying to do, but I am realistic about the talent I have in order to do that. I think the frustration on the untalented novelist is easily as real as the anguish of the genius. In other words, that is how writing makes me feel. Not on the wings of angels, more up bound in rope and unable to move.

And I don't think that it has anything to do with my art either. My problem is that I don't subscribe to the 'art' myth that much. Maybe influenced by an art student I used to live with who was utterly pretentious tortured soul type. I was trying to get my head about Foucault's genealogy (genius that guy) at the time and that was causing my more pain and anguish that he had. Was it because I was a tortured soul? Nope, it was just bloody difficult!

Trying to improve my golf game brings me as much pain as trying to piece together a story.

To allude to Oscar Wilde's famous quote, I might be in the gutter, but the stars are always going to be impossible to own.

Oh, but it does make me happy as well, afterwards. Even if it is not a great story, it is still my story
    by Account Closed at 15:23 on 05 May 2004
    James, listen to waxy as well. If you can't please yourself then how are you going to please your readers? The fact that you're writing, and you're on here, is proof enough that you have what it takes. Forget about being a genius, it doesn't happen overnight. Right, I'll shut up now before I get all emotional.

Best of luck with your writing,
    Steven
    by James Anthony at 16:03 on 05 May 2004
    Ahh, you guys are lovely, really. But I am afraid that is how writing makes me feel.

But then you've got to be able to question yourself really, but thanks for the words
    by Dee at 16:47 on 05 May 2004
    Anyone heard of David Shepherd? The artist famous for his wonderful paintings of wildlife and trains? The trains are brilliant in terms of technique. (he also does the most amazing portraits but, funnily enough, they aren’t so well-known)

Anyway, like him or not, no-one can deny that he is one of the most talented artists alive today – in terms of taking a few blobs of oil paints and using them to create a picture.

A few years ago I was privileged to be invited to the opening of a new art gallery, featuring an exhibition of his work and he performed the opening ceremony. Right in the middle of it all was a small oil painting of waves crashing over jagged rocks. It was crude and amateurish and I was intrigued enough to ask him why it was there.

He told me it was the first oil painting he ever did and, whenever he has an exhibition, he displays it to show people that he wasn’t born with the ability to paint. He worked at it. Really worked. Displaying this little painting is his way of encouraging aspiring artists.

And this tale is my way, JamesAnthony, to hopefully encourage you. Anyone who says writing is easy is lying. Keep going. It will be worth it in the end.

Dee

by Account Closed at 16:53 on 05 May 2004
    Of course James. It took me years to reach perfection and genius!

Seriously though, my attitude towards my own writing varies. Sometimes I'll read it back and be impressed, other times I'll read the same piece again and absolutely loathe it. Either way, despite my feelings being subjective to my mood, I find it very difficult to remain objective about my own stuff.

Likewise, sometimes you can post something you love in the hope of receiving really positive feedback. Instead, you get slammed. Then, you post something you're not too keen on, and everyone else loves it! Any artform, is open to interpretation, and knowing this is a good barometer for how you feel towards your own work.

J x
    by Account Closed at 16:58 on 05 May 2004
    Dee, that's a really inspiring and touching story! Well impressed.

Steven
    by Account Closed at 17:44 on 05 May 2004
    One of my favourites is about the Marquis De Sade.

He was imprisoned for most of his life, (probably for good reason)and the French authorities really didn't want his scandalous writings in circulation, particularly 'Justine. With his being banged up, they imagined they were safe, until they realized he was still smuggling his works out through the prison laundry system.

When the prison authorities found out, they confiscated his pen and paper. Undeterred, he began cutting himself and writing in his blood. Just goes to show, a true artist is unstoppable!

All this is featured in the film 'Quills. It's an interesting little film, which I highly recommend.

James x

• This 26 message thread spans 2 pages:  < <   1  2 > >