Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• What is a Pitch?
    by Inspiration at 19:50 on 02 April 2004
    This will make you laf!

At the risk of someone calling me a daft old bird, can someone tell me what the word pitch means when it is displayed in the jobs section. ie Send us your pitches, pitch idol. Is this lingo or am I just being dim?
    (Sales Pitch?!)
    If it just means 'ideas' then that's all very well, but it does not specify a format. Should a drama be written as a play or a story?

I'm not sure if this makes sense, it kinda does to me.

Daft old bird!

XXXInniXXX
  • Re: What is a Pitch?
    by Account Closed at 07:55 on 03 April 2004
    If you look in the thread "Where to send finished scripts" in the TV & Film group you should find the answer plus some excellent examples.
    by Account Closed at 13:53 on 06 April 2004
    Hiya,

Pitch is meant as in pitching a ball, so yes, like pitching a sale or a proposal as it's generally called in the writers world. A general writer's pitch would be the standard form of an introductory letter, a synopsis and 3 sample chapters.

Don't you worry, you're not being daft. We're all learning here. Nine months ago I didn't know what a POD was, and I'd only just got my head around the synopsis
    by Inspiration at 22:04 on 20 April 2004
    Ok, OK, What's a POD then, WAXY?

xxxInniXXX

Sorry Waxly, but I rather like Waxy!
    by Dee at 22:24 on 20 April 2004
    I think we all like Waxy...

POD means Print On Demand. I'm no expert but, as far as I can see, it's a relatively new online form of publishing. You don't get the marketing you would expect from a mainline publishers, you don't have the normal print-runs so no 'first editions' and the books tend to be more expensive to buy than mainstream. But it's usually easier to break into publishing in this way.

Dee.
    by Inspiration at 13:37 on 21 April 2004
    Thanks Waxy!

Anything else I SHOULD know!...

Ok There is too much for you to tell me now, as I'm a beginner at all this, but it looks like I'm at the right place!

XXXInniXXX
    by Account Closed at 13:45 on 21 April 2004
    Ask away. If I know it, I'll happily share the info - if not, I'll simply make something up (well, I am a fiction writer!).

There's also an internet help thread in the forum somewhere, where you'll be able to ask technical questions. Everyone on this site is extremely helpful, so don't worry about it
    by Inspiration at 13:49 on 21 April 2004
    Thanks, I'll remember that, Waxy. You must be on line now too, as you replied very quickly!

I was suprised to see the icon worked for me!

See i'm learning all the time!

XXXInniXXX
    by Account Closed at 15:04 on 21 April 2004
    Yes, I have the privelidge of running an internet cafe, so I'm more or less always on line these days