Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 16 message thread spans 2 pages: 1  2  > >  
  • Contractions!
    by Grinder at 18:14 on 28 March 2004
    Now that got your attention. ;
    In the second chapter of my book (Standing at the End of the World - shameless plug) I've introduced a character that does not contract his sentences.

Is this a good idea? Even though it matches his character, it does make his dialogue feel less natural. Is this an unnecessary detail that I could do without, or doesn't it matter?

I would appreciate hearing some opinions on the subject. (;
    Thanks in advance

Grinder
  • Re: Contractions!
    by Dee at 19:19 on 28 March 2004
    I didn't notice anything odd when I first read it so I’ve just had another quick skim through.

It’s Ballastair, isn’t it? I don’t think you have anything to worry about. It suits his character. Makes him appear very controlled and precise.

Dee.

Ps – why does this thread have a funny little red cross? Is it something to do with the Brotherhood?

by Grinder at 19:55 on 28 March 2004
    Dee,

You are right about Ballastair, it would be too sloppy for him.

I have no idea where that symbol came from? It might be the smiley face (damn those smileys).

Grinder
    by Jumbo at 21:24 on 28 March 2004
    Grinder, yes, it looks like the cross is the 'smiley' you put at the end of your first sentence of the posting!

I'm going to ask a dumb question here - what do you mean when you say the character doesn't 'contract his sentences'?

John seeing as everyone else is using them
    by Dee at 21:26 on 28 March 2004
    Hi Jumbo,

It's using 'it's' instead of 'it is' or 'I'll' instead of 'I will'.

Dee.

<Added>

ps - notice how the 'shameless plug' bug is spreading?

;)
    by Jumbo at 21:33 on 28 March 2004
    Ah, that simple! I suspected as much but wasn't sure.

Sorry? Shameless plugs? Like mentioning Paying for the Gallery and The Darkest of Lies and Invisible Bruises? Surely not! That's terrible!

Who would stoop that low?

<Added>

... oh, and Standing At The End Of The World
    by Dee at 21:41 on 28 March 2004
    You'd better add Standing At The End Of The World to that list or Grinder won't let us play on his thread.

by Jumbo at 21:46 on 28 March 2004
    Done!
    by Account Closed at 02:57 on 29 March 2004
    Im not a great fan of the title. Its a bit tried, isnt it? Anyway, Its good stuff.
    by Jumbo at 07:20 on 29 March 2004
    Pardon?
    by Dee at 13:58 on 29 March 2004
    Which title James?

And did you mean 'tired'? Or 'trite' perhaps?

Dee.
    by Account Closed at 15:20 on 29 March 2004
    No, Im not being horrible Jumbo. I've recently decided to change the title of my novel, so I guess I have that hat on. Your title sounds good, but it also feels familiar. I meant tried, as in tried and tested...if you think of all the songs and books etc, that use 'the end of the world' in the title, then I'm sure you'll see what I mean.

It still works of course, so please don't feel you have to listen to me.

<Added>

Just realised its Grinder's tale and not yours, but you get the point anyway. Im about to go and read more.

Invisible Bruises,on the other hand, is a wonderful title for a story.
    by Grinder at 11:38 on 30 March 2004
    James,

Thank you for your opinion regarding the title of my work. It actually stems from a line of dialogue used later in the book. I guess it sounds familiar, and is probably very similar to other books, Robert Jordan’s “The Eye of the World” immediately springs to mind, but as far as I know it is unique.

I also realise that the title is only one of the very smallest parts that may have to be changed between now and when this book is published. (the ‘when’ is part of my self therapy), so I’m trying not to get overly attached to it.

Grinder
    by Grinder at 11:47 on 30 March 2004
    Just to recap, for a moment

Dee thinks it’s OK not to contract dialogue.
    Does anyone else have an opinion on this?

Grinder
    by Jumbo at 11:57 on 30 March 2004
    I don't think this is a question of whether you can or you can't contract speech. That is too black and white.

One aspect of building a character is by careful choice of the way they speak: the words they use, their dialect, and any speech mannerisms or quirks, for example.

So, if contracting their speech works for your character, and is consistent with the person you want them to be, do it!

John
  • This 16 message thread spans 2 pages: 1  2  > >