Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 23 message thread spans 2 pages:  < <   1  2 > >  
  • Re: Write Every Day - any takers?
    by Becca at 22:04 on 23 March 2004
    I can see that, Daisy, no question. I don't have kids that young any longer, mine being in their thirty's. But I suppose my equivalent would be getting up at 5 and writing until precisely 7.30, and then getting ready to commute to the other side of London. But, at night I can come home to a house with no demands. So, fair enough what you say.
    The only thing is, and the majority of WW members might disagree with this, - is that WW is a tool, one that writers who thought themselves alone could use and see how their works rated, see if they had some clout. We could make it into any number of things, and people have tried in the name of democracy, and suceeded. But it would be so so easy to lose the essence of the whole thing by asking it and everyone on it to do yet another 'support' thing for us as writers. This is seriously not intended to be a put-down, it's just that the essence of what WW was set up for is constantly endangered by what individuals or small groups want to make of it for themselves irrespective of what it is as a whole. One of the most central things about WW is that it is all inclusive, in other words it doesn't buy into the old fashioned concept of what a group is, a thing that excludes people because they are not us, - but welcomes people into it because they are all individuals, and writers, even if we don't all like each other. It is, in the end, the writing itself we're talking about, not who fits in with a certain way of talking. Sorry to load this all on you, it's not that I don't think your idea is a good one, it's just that the original basic intention behind WW seems to have got lost a bit. I think it's just because it is a good site, bitchiness is slammed down on, as it should be, people feel safe here, and I for one want to keep it that way, and the best way of doing it is for us all to not make sub groups, but to stick together, help each other, and, not to split into factions and ask for the kind of things you can find in a local writing group in my town or your town. To be honest with you, I've used your posting to sound off a bit, (or a lot?), about this because it's been bothering me for a while. Forgive me. This is not a conclusive thing of course, a site like this has to be organic. I do think your idea is a good one actually, I just wanted you to hear my fears.
    Becca.
    by Al T at 22:38 on 23 March 2004
    Becca, I was really interested to read this. As a relatively new member of WW (I joined in January) I don't know what the site was like when you started out. However, as both an aspiring writer and a former internet analyst I think you have a very good format.

WW seems to be just what a peer-to-peer site should be, in that it unites people with a specific common interest, many of whom, in offline life, would be unlikely to interact with one another, wherever they are geographically. I love the fact that, unlike in an offline writers' group, people can not be judged on how they look or sound, and that you can choose to dip in and out whenever you have the time and the inclination.

Also, the fact that WW seems to be policed against gratuitous insults, conman advertisers, and other freaky internet-specific bad behaviour, just adds to the appeal.

I'm going away for a while, and plan to stay offline. However, I shall miss hearing what everyone is doing, what moves people, and what inspires them.

WW team, you should be proud of yourselves,

Adele.
    by Daisy at 07:02 on 24 March 2004
    Thats okay Becca - I did welcome all comments, positive and negative. I thought the writers groups were always a feature of the site? Maybe I am wrong there.

I would also like to say if there was a writers group in my area I would join it. There has been an attempt to get one up and running, but there was very little interest. It's not so easy for people, like me, that live in low population areas to get access to writers support and that is precisely what drew me to this site.

The reason I thought this would be better in a group is that the work would be very rough, first draft stuff that the members may well not want everyone to see, and to be able to limit it to a group that all are working towards the same thing would be better.

There is another option of course, we could make a yahoo type group on a separate site specifically for this purpose. At the end of the day it depends on whether the group application is accepted.
    by anisoara at 08:26 on 24 March 2004
    Regarding some of the points raised above, I take the point that it is worrisome when we need a crutch to write every day, but right now I need that crutch. It's one of the reasons why I joined WriteWords - something, anything, to help me develop the habit of writing. Writing is important to me, and I would like to convert the horrid lifelong niggling into something positive and concrete, ie, me writing instead of thinking about it. For a born procrastinator like myself, the group that Daisy has suggested would be a real aid. Although my output is still low, ever since I have been getting myself involved with other writers, my output has nevertheless increased. (And there is no writers group in my neighbourhood that meets at a time when I am available.) This is one habit I really want to form, but I just need a bit more help geting there. And it's so important to me that I am on the constant lookout for helpful oportunities ... like this one.

Ani

<Added>

Make that opportunities with two p's....
    by Becca at 18:10 on 24 March 2004
    Maybe I was being a bit precious, the real point for me is that the site could so easily become less supportive overall, (over all?)if it splits into too many small groups who become inward looking and, just say, cease to engage with the criting we've all been doing. Does that make sense? I'm thinking about the feeling of trust that's still here, and fearing it will become dissipated.
    Becca.
    by anisoara at 18:18 on 24 March 2004
    Becca -

Yes, I see what you are saying.

What if we could somehow create this as an ongoing and open challenge? Something non-exclusive that anyone an jump into?

Ani
    by Daisy at 19:16 on 25 March 2004
    I decided to look elsewhere and found this:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Write-A-Book/

What they say about the group as an introduction is:

This is a group for those who have always wanted to write a book or story, but never seem to have the time. The purpose of this list is to check in with this group every day to encourage each other to write at least two pages. If you don't write those two pages, then share that. The goal is to write in and report on the day's writing or yesterday's writing and simply share whether you managed to pen something, anything, or if you didn't then just say "I didn't make it today." But make an effort to show up every day and report in. Somehow, it's helping me, and I hope it helps you folks. Remember, life's too short put off your dreams. This is a flame free zone, but so long as everyone is kind, no other moderation is in effect.

I think I might give it a shot.

<Added>

Well I joined and looked at the messages. Despite over 60 members it seems to be dominated by one, with another one or two posting very occasionally.

Oh well.
    by Becca at 20:21 on 25 March 2004
    Daisy, it seems to fit the bill exactly. But you could still talk to David and see what he thinks about it, I didn't want to put you off.
    Ani and Daisy, I guess any sub groups that formed wouldn't intentionally be exclusive, but by the very nature of them they tend to become so. Imagine you've set up a small group within WW, you're criting each others' work, you've established a lot of camaraderie between you, you're conscious of the smallness of the group, you feel warm and supportive and supported within it. The obvious danger is the objectivity of your criting becomes weakened and you end up full of enthusiasm for your group's work, and everybody praises each other irrespective of the quality of the work. There's a writers' group in the area I teach short story writing in, and because they identify themselves by their ethnicity rather than simply as writers, they've developed exactly the kind of knee jerk over enthusiasm I'm talking about. I always feel the same about the idea of 'women's writing', if you see what I mean. WW's got integrity at the moment, which is why it's so useful.
    Becca.
  • This 23 message thread spans 2 pages:  < <   1  2 > >