Login   Sign Up 

This 23 message thread spans 2 pages: 1  2  > >  
  • Write Every Day - any takers?
    by Daisy at 08:26 on 23 March 2004
    For a while now I have been contemplating applying to start a group - but I want to gauge interest first.

It would be called 'Write Every Day' and would really be aimed at people about to start writing a novel or a full length play or film script, although if anyone else wanted to try with short stories etc they would be welcome.

The idea would be to encourage people to write every day - setting a minimum word limit - I was thinking 1,000 words, as then you could have your first rough draft ready in 2 or 3 months - as an incentive. As it would just be the first draft it would be up to individuals if they wanted people to comment.

Issues I can see at this early stage are:

Will people be happy to have their first draft work up on site for people to see?

I heard about a similar online group purely for screenwriting, they booted people out if they didn't post the minimum required, once a week. I don't think this would be necessary, although would we want to modify that - say if someone posted nothing for two weeks without having said to the group they were on holiday or whatever - would we make room for someone else?

What sort of numbers would we want? I would say fairly small to begin with, but again that may well depend on level of interest.

Anyway, all thoughts (in favour or against) welcome.
  • Re: Write Every Day - any takers?
    by anisoara at 08:33 on 23 March 2004
    Daisy -

I think this is a super idea. And I NEED something like this. I would be in it for my short stories, although if I lasted long enough, I would try to graduate to a larger project, because I have THOSE ideas, too.

I'm very interested to see who else is interested.

Oh, and it would be a great group to do flash challenges in!!!! We could try timed flashes to get through the writing we need to do for the day. Hmm, I am starting to get away from the theme of this post, so I'll just stop it right there!

Ani

by Daisy at 08:39 on 23 March 2004
    Don't worry about getting away from the theme of the post Ani - IMO although I started the thread the group would be for all the members and by all the members, so ideas to get writing flowing are to be encouraged and (dare I say it) acted on.

I was in Anna's beginners group, and the great thing about that and I think it would be the same for flash challenges are the ideas you get to take further to other works, so it works for me Ani

Maybe I'll complete the application now before I go to work cos I don't know when I'll be home tonight.
    by swandale at 09:13 on 23 March 2004
    This is a fantastic idea, and I would definitely be up for it. As well as the encouragement to write every day, it might also be good for aspiring novellists to post their first draft at an early stage. A novel is a big big thing to write without showing anyone!

The only thing I would say is don't make it too strict. Although I try to write every day, there are some days when I just can't (like yesterday when it took me more than two hours to get home because of an accident on the M62 - grrr) so maybe say 1,000 words a day, but only five days a week or something like that.

Sam x
    by anisoara at 09:17 on 23 March 2004
    Swan - That's probably a good idea, though I wouldn't want it to loosen up too much because I'm afraid I'd stop. I'm very, very bad. I think it may be because I need to have something to feel guilty about, and it's really easy to not write and then feel guilty.... Just a little neurosis....

Daisy --

Yes, we could flash, either set out own flash topic (and it would work better for me if I announced what I was flashing to, because then I'd have to do it) or we could see if we could use some prompt to further us along in our story, or who knows. Not quite sure how that last would work, really.

Oh fill out the application, Daisy!

This is a great idea!

Ani

by Account Closed at 09:55 on 23 March 2004
    I would be interested but only for the novel (or feature length screenplay) idea. I can write something every day (more or less) but that's the problem: I'm writing other things because I'm stuck with my novel. If I had to produce some progression at the end of every week, it would force me to get through it - even if it wasn't necessarily chronological etc.

Also, if it was only novels we could follow each other's better. In this case the group would have to be small and we'd all have to start at the same time.

At the end of the day, the groups already exist, it's the exam revision style pressure that we need!
    by Davy Skyflyer at 09:59 on 23 March 2004
    Daisy-

This is a great idea - I'd definitely be up for it. One of my biggest problems is doing anything else but write when I have to! Can I be in?

Regards

Dav
    by ginag at 10:11 on 23 March 2004
    Would love to join. In my case it would not be the first draft, that's already finished but I could upload the revised/edited version as I finish it.
    The trouble is I can't always get to the computer, two young children and a house worthy of DIY SOS often stop me working on my book. Maybe this group would give me the shove up the backside I need.

Gina.
    by bjlangley at 14:32 on 23 March 2004
    I would love to take part in something like this. I've got this idea for a novel, but I never start it. I write notes on it, but I'm sure I'd be better off if I just sat down and got on with it.

Don't get it right, get it written. That's the principal I'll work on, as revision will help to get it right, and I need to just spew it all onto the page to see what I've got.

I don't know where I'll find time for 1000 words every day, but I suppose I could manager more on some days that others. But given my most ambitious work to date is a short story under 3000 words, this would be a big thing for me!

by Dee at 15:17 on 23 March 2004
    I really like this idea, Daisy. Well done for coming up with it. This sort of group would be a great springboard for – for instance – the new novel I’m working on which is about 80% finished but has huge gaps in the plot. Any amount of feedback would be invaluable but I don’t know if I could make the commitment to a group on a regular basis.

Can I suggest you have a look at the maths before you start. If you’re expecting 1000 words a day from everyone, and assuming you would expect each member to comment on everyone else’s work, this is one hell of a lot to read and crit in a day… don’t you think?

I think the most difficult stage in writing a novel is when you’ve gone beyond that wonderful spew-writing stage. Sometimes it can take hours to get one paragraph right. You can’t just measure the amount of effort by the number of words produced.

Just thought I’d chuck that in before you get to the end of your first month and wonder why you haven’t managed to fulfil your quota of writing because you’ve spent all your available time reading everyone else’s.

Good luck with this. I hope it works.

Dee.
    x
    by ginag at 15:37 on 23 March 2004
    To follow on from Dee's comment. I was thinking about this while doing my ironing and also realised how difficult this was. Maybe we could run a buddy system where we have to read and comment on - say - two other's work but we are also free to crit the rest of the group if we have time. Would this work? Haven't yet worked out how we select buddies, etc.
    What do you guys think?

Gina.

by Daisy at 16:12 on 23 March 2004
    Wow, what a great response from you all. I don't know that crit is the most important part of this. A buddy system might work, or maybe people that particularly want crit can post in the forum to let everyone know. One aspect that hasn't been mentioned is the fact that although we want to encourage people to write every day - we can't post every day. These are the kind of teething problems that I would want all the group members to work through and decide what is for the best - I don't want this to be my group, I want it to be our group.

Thinking about it, I quite like the buddy system because there is real consistent feedback - but if each person has two people giving feedback it would be nice to balance it between novice witers and more experienced if possible - I am definitely in the novice bracket.

The application has been filled out and sent, so I'll wait and see if it gets the seal of approval - maybe it has this is the first place I have looked since I came online.

<Added>

As far as the word count goes - I don't see it as a necessity - more a goal to aim for. What do others think? Is 5000 words per week a reasonable goal? What kind of incentives could we offer.

Just a thought - to get round the post every second day rule - we could each upload one piece of work to the group and continually amend it with the newest work. What do you think? Maybe add on a piece every day (if possible) until the end of the week, then start again afresh the next week, so we can see how much we acheive in a week?
    by anisoara at 16:14 on 23 March 2004
    I think the system Gina has proposed might work well with me too as I am really looking to write short stories. This would allow me to team up with a couple of others with a similar orientation.

But I would like to participate however we do it....

Ani

<Added>

Oh, Daisy, you posted that while I was still writing!
    by Becca at 20:49 on 23 March 2004
    Writing every day is what writers do, isn't it? Although I don't think it isn't a good idea to spur each other on, what worries me is the thought that you can't write without the support, so be careful mates, and good luck.
    Becca.
    by Daisy at 21:21 on 23 March 2004
    I don't know about you Becca - but every morning I get up and organise the kids breakfast, get together the stuff they need for school and then get myself ready for work. Sometimes I can be home at five (usually when I have to take the kids somewhere else - trampolining, swimming) but often I am not home till 8pm after work, and I still need to have dinner, get the kids to bed, do the dishes and clothes washing - including changing the beds if required.

I use the internet to relax, which is why I come on here a bit.

A spur like this may help me prioritise writing instead of everything else I have to do.
  • This 23 message thread spans 2 pages: 1  2  > >