Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Dyslexia
    by geoffmorris at 20:12 on 17 March 2004
    As I sit here wondering how to turn the pictures in my head in words on screen I'm wondering if anyone else here has been diagnosed as dyslexic.

Though I'm well aware of the fact that I may be a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to my choice of words (or maybe it's just my Tourettes!) its also the case that dyslexia is not, as many believe a difficulty in reading and writing but more to do with organisational skills and short term memory. I sometimes have tremendous problems arranging the ideas in my head into meaningful passages and often I have too many ideas that I just cant seem to resolve.

It would be interesting to learn if anyone here is dyslexic and how they tackle these issues.

Geoff
  • Re: Dyslexia
    by Dee at 22:10 on 17 March 2004
    Geoff, I really don’t understand dyslexia so I’m not much help. I just wanted to say I’m in awe that, being dyslexic, you can create something like Smoke.

As writers, we all struggle with selecting the most suitable word, the best phrase. Add dyslexia into the mix and, as I already said – I’m in awe.

I thought Smoke was excellent before. Now I still think it’s excellent but I have a much deeper insight into it now.

Good luck and my best wishes.

Dee.
    by anisoara at 08:34 on 18 March 2004
    Geoff --

Reading your posting, you make me wonder if I have dyslexia myself! You described the way i feel right now to a 'T' - although having said that, there are times when 'it' comes out in the right order and just the way I want it to. So if I am not in fact an undiagnosed dyslexic, well, then, I certainly have sympathy. (I have been posting complaints and pleas for assistance regarding disorganisation of my current story and how, whenever I start writing it, I keep on forgetting things, leaving them out.......)

Ani
    by olebut at 09:41 on 18 March 2004
    Geoff

I am certainly no expert but it is thought that a very high number of people are mildly Dyslexic without realising it

As I guess you know there are a number of aids that may help reading printed matter.

Really no joke now some people have found reading through a pink/rose coloured filter works,and have even been fittd with rose coloured glasses,

Blue filters also may help use a blue or rose coloured filter over your printed work
    Don't use white paper if you can avoid it pale blue, rose or buff if you have to use white try using blue coloured font.

Look at using Jaws on your computer or similar software so you speak into it and it translates your voice into written text, it isn't foolproof but it may help.

I have suggested to David Bruce that he should consider changing the white background on here for a buff one. Although the increase font facility is I presume helpful

I know that were you get written word mixed up with pictures it is hard to read so whilst pictures are great seperate the print

The font you use can also effect your ability to read it always try and use a Sans style which is supposed to be easier to read but experiment with them until you find one that works for you.

I hope some of this helps, the other thought is to dictate your rough ideas on to a dictating machine you can buy a digital one for about £40 sound quality is not brill but you get about 120 minutes recording and they are much lighter and smaller than the tape variety

take care all

david

by geoffmorris at 19:51 on 18 March 2004
    David,

You certainly seem to know a lot about dyslexia! When I was first diagnosed with it (in my final year of uni) I couldn't beleive it. I have absolutely no problems whatsoever reading and writing. The most common aspect of the disorder is problems with reading and writing but like many things it covers a broad spectrum. Officially I have dyslexia/dyspraxia with ADHD and Tourettes. Now the Tourettes I've always known about. Though thankfully it's relatively mild and I can control it so well now that you wouldn't notice it unless you really knew me.

I came across this article one day in the Guardian

http://www.guardian.co.uk/health/story/0,3605,448171,00.html

I recognised myself instantly and as a result visited my GP who in turn refered me to the University special needs department. Eventually it was arranged for me to be assessed by the Dyslexia institute and the rest as they say is history.

Basically I have problems with whats called my short term memory or working memory which affects my organisational abilities not to mention my ability to pay attention! I bore VERY quickly and often cannot maintain conversations because I simply do not listen to the other person.

Another classic symptom that ails me is kowing what I want to write but completely failing to do so. Now I totally understand this is a problem suffered by nearly all writers but with me it is extreme and extends to many other aspects of my life. To an extent everybody has a neurological disorder of one kind or another, it just depends on the severity of the deviance from the norm. When the difference is negligible it's normal, you're just like everyone else, when its large you have a disorder and in turn problems.

All in all its a very interesting topic especially when you consider that this kind of stuff goes a long way to shaping the people that we are. Still on a daily basis I can be hell.

Though it can also be amazing!

Ani you might want to check the article above out and a good site to have a look at the more positive aspects of such things is

http://borntoexplore.org/index.html

Dee,

All I have to say to you is thank you.

Geoff

by anisoara at 20:16 on 18 March 2004
    Geoff --

Good article from the Guardian, plus the Born to Explore site is excellent. I have long known my personality type was INFP, and see there that this group - INFP/ENFP/INTP/ENTP are most commonly diagnosed with ADD!

Ani
    by Phelim at 15:22 on 19 March 2004
    Hi Geoff

I am dyslexic and rely on my spell checker and a dictionary. My writing speed is only about 12 words per minute, and yes I am a writer.

How do I cope, by hard work. I learnt to proofread, partly because I was told I wouldn't be able to do it. It has helped with my understanding of English even though I have a university education.

Not only do I now write and proofread, I critique manuscripts and am looking to start a publishing house specalising in crime/thriller/mystery books with some other writers.

So don't let the label stop you.

Phelim
    by geoffmorris at 18:45 on 19 March 2004
    Man I so hate the slow writing thing! Often it takes me so long to get stuff down that I've forgotten what I was thinking!

Not worried about the label, could even be a good thing if I ever get published, the dyslexic novelist and all!

Geoff
    by olebut at 08:21 on 20 March 2004
    Geoff

ref the short term memory loss why not buy a pocket dictating machine, record your thoughts, story line etc then play it back at your leisure and type it out modifying it as neds be.

I have one and use it all the time for ideas etc.

take care

david
    by geoffmorris at 16:08 on 20 March 2004
    I thought about doing that but I hate the sound of my own voice and I would feel uncomfortable about whispering some things into a machine on a crowded tube!

It's such a pain though, sometimes it's like I'm veiwing the whole of creation through a pinhole camera.

Geoff
    by olebut at 17:53 on 20 March 2004
    Geoff

pretend it is a mobile phone
    by Daisy at 20:03 on 20 March 2004
    You could try an ipaq or other portable pc device - my ipaq offers voice recording at the touch of a button, but you can choose to write notes instead - either by 'writing' with the little stick thing or by tapping the on-screen keyboard. I have found it incredibly useful.
    by Phelim at 17:27 on 22 March 2004
    Geoff my trick, when I write, is to use two different word processor programmes. The first is Ability Write and does not have auto correct switched on. I just type away on this and do not worry about the spelling or grammer. Then I cut and paste the text to Open Office. This has auto correct on and it is here I do the editting. Thus I seperate the two areas.

Also, you may be able to improve your time by using a different font to what you do, go for size 12 or 14 in Times New Roman or Arial. Also try a colour as a background other than white. I read best on blue or purple. Other colours suit other dyslexics.

But get writing. It is always easy to delete and start again. But practice makes things easier.
    by Phelim at 11:05 on 23 March 2004
    Another suggestion Geoff for you to try is to get some form of dictation programme such as IBM Via Voice. These allow you to speak what you want to say and then edit later.

They ARE NOT full proof and hate strong accents. After a while though they can learn your voice and how you pronounce words. Then as ideas come into your head you can just speak them out.

May be worth the try.