Login   Sign Up 

• Writing a story using dictation
    by anisoara at 12:12 on 17 March 2004
    I'm working on a story that's been plaguing me because I just can't seem to spit it out. There are so many little bits that need to make their way in somewhere, and when I stop to look at what I've written, I see that it's already a mangle and I'm going to have to redo it.

So I thought maybe I would just use my microrecorder (purchased especially to record ideas / notes instead of using a little notebook, which has been laughable because, although I record the little bits, I never bother listening to it) -- so I thought I would just use my microrecorder to get the story down. And I have started.....

And I don't have much else to say yet, except I am wondering if anyone else has done / does do this, and what your experiences have been!

Anyone?

Ani
  • Re: Writing a story using dictation
    by Jumbo at 22:48 on 17 March 2004
    Ani

I've heard of people using recoding devices to capture ideas and thoughts but don't know of anyone who has used it to capture the whole story.

Is it possible that you can't get the story out because you can't see the overall structure of what it is you're trying to achieve? And is it likely that using the micro-recorder will actually get you over that problem?

How about spending some time trying to put down the structure of the story, perhaps in chapter blocks to start off with, and then perhaps scenes within the chapters.

I use index cards a lot, and scribble notes all over them - ideas of things that I think are going to occur in the story. The good thing about the cards is that you can re-arrange them as you write, making your initial structure more of a guide than something that is set in concrete.

Hope this helps.

John
    by anisoara at 08:15 on 18 March 2004
    John, thanks!

It's actually only a short story! I do know and see the whole story, and what follows what. I am thinking maybe your suggestion about the index cards will help....

I'm just hoping that my dictating it into my little recorder, it'll be easier for me to stick to it. When I am writing, as soon as I hit a sticky point, invariably I get up and walk away, so I am hoping that dictating it will make it easier to carry on when I reach one of those points.

Perhaps if I keep the cards in front of me as props, I'll get through the story, and then I'll be able to type it up and start writing it over nicely. I am thinking two sets of cards - one for plot, another for those extra bits of information that need to be in there or implied, which, perhaps, I can work in afterard if omitted....

I have made a start at dictating the story, although, unfortunately, I reached a certain point, then ... got up and walked away. Again!

Ani
    by Anna Reynolds at 18:04 on 18 March 2004
    Ani, I have tried this, but found listening to my own voice so utterly cringe-making that it put me off- and of course wiuth the voice recognition systems on PC's, you could always use one of those- you speak, and the words appear on your screen. But only if the PC hears you correctly.... a bit like predictive text. Personally, I think whatever gets the words down, then do it.
    by Jumbo at 18:16 on 18 March 2004
    Anna

I don't know if you've ever tried voice recognition software, but my experience of it was pretty painful! To say it was not very accurate would be an over-statement.

I spent so much time correcting the software's attempts at typing what I had said, that it would have been quicker to type the text in myself - even with my appallingly slow typing speed (and low accuracy!)

Perhaps it was my (strange) accent or bad diction! I don't know, but it didn't work for me!

John
    by heather jr at 00:42 on 19 March 2004
    oohh - I'm intrigued John - what accent would that be then? :-))
    H