Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Packaging ...
    by Jumbo at 16:52 on 10 March 2004
    Don't really know if this is a Technique question, but is a 'How to ..' so here goes.

If - and it's a pretty big if - I had to post a hypothetical 272 page manuscript, carefully laid out in double spacing, etc., to some hypothetical person who might just be interested in reading said hypothetical MS, what's the best way to package it for the post?

And what about standerd first class post, special delivery, recorded ... well you know what I mean!

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Jumbox
  • Re: Packaging ...
    by Dee at 17:16 on 10 March 2004
    First off, use strong rubber bands to hold it together. That’s the way most hypothetical persons prefer to receive a hypothetical 272 page ms… I know that’s what my agent prefers. Put it in a strong padded envelope and send it off by second class letter post – or first if you’re desperate. Don’t forget to enclose another padded envelope and enough return postage just in case – hypothetically, of course.

As long as you have your hypothetical ms hypothetically copyrighted you don’t need to worry about it being lost in the hypothetical post.

You may find - as I did when I sent off a full ms – that special delivery works out slightly cheaper than first-class. But you have to bear in mind that your hypothetical recipient might get a little picky when s/he has to go and queue at the nearest post office to claim it if there’s no-one available to sign for it on delivery.

Hope this is hypothetically helpful

Dee

by Jumbo at 17:24 on 10 March 2004
    EP

Please send two large hypothetical rubber bands!!

Ta (hypothetically speaking!)

Jumbo x (email also on way!)
    by Elspeth at 17:44 on 10 March 2004
    Always interesting to hear of other agents' methods Dee! Personally, I hate the whole loose leaf rubber band thing, but that's purely personal preference and I understand the practicalities of that method. For me though, it means I end up with reams of paper scattered across the office as I juggle my cup of coffee with the manuscript, actors' breakdowns, faxes, letters and all the other detritus of my desk! When we send books out to publishers, we have them packaged in comb binding with one of those clear acetate covers. That way nothing gets lost and it survives the odd coffee spillage. I haven't had a complaint about it yet, but I know someplaces have very specific guidelines. The only method I've seen that I reckon is a big no-no is to put the manuscript in a ring binder. Mad idea for the postage cost alone if you're sending it out (although it's useful for storing things in the office).

Hypothetically yours

Katie
    by Jumbo at 17:47 on 10 March 2004
    Katie

Thanks for this. Are you saying that if I should hypothetically send you something you would prefer me to have it comb bound? Or is that something you do before sending it onwards (and upwards?)?

Jumbo
    by Account Closed at 18:57 on 10 March 2004
    Thanks for asking that question, Jumbo and good luck with your submissions.
    by Jumbo at 19:07 on 10 March 2004
    Thanks, e.g.!
    by Tabitha at 01:04 on 11 March 2004
    I would give the hypothetical agent/publisher a ring and ask. :-)
    by old friend at 07:08 on 11 March 2004
    Very sensible suggestion, Tabitha.

Surely the 'answer' must be to bind the pages together, with a cover (acetate) and using some form of spiral binding...
    hypothetically speaking.

Len
    by Jumbo at 08:31 on 11 March 2004
    Thanks for your help with this. Very useful.

John
    by hibernian at 10:05 on 11 March 2004
    Doesn't WAYB say that submissions to publishers/agents should never be bound, just put into envelope-type card folders? Of course, ringing and asking probably is the best...
    by Dee at 10:24 on 11 March 2004
    I’ve read lots of ‘How To’ books on the subject and they all say not to bind them or put them in folders. I’ve also heard Teresa Chris (agent) talking about it. She likes them to be loose so that she can, for instance, pick up a couple of chapters to read with a coffee, or on the train or whatever. She also said that when a slushpile gets really big, anything in a plastic sleeve could slip and cause a terrible landslide… but she may have been joking about that!

Having said all that, Katie knows more about this, and has far more knowledge of the publishing industry, than I do. But she is an agent punting out to publishers. She will have built up a relationship with them and will know how they like mss to be submitted. I assume Jumbo is - hypothetically - talking about submitting to agents at this stage.

In practice, I don’t suppose agents ask for very many full manuscripts. If they do it’s generally after seeing a sample of your work and wanting to read more. In which case, I see nothing wrong with ringing or emailing the agent and asking for their preferences.

Dee.
    by Elspeth at 10:57 on 11 March 2004
    Very good point Dee - there is a difference between sending in a couple of chapters to an agent and sending off a full manuscript to a publisher.

The majority of people who send in a sample of their work keep it loose, and that's fine. Better to have it loose than too tightly bound so I can't open the pages properly. I don't give specific guidelines as I think a lot of it is common sense and I'm not about to reject something on the basis of whether or not you use rubber bands. (Although those A4 plastic envelope thingys are very slippery and kinda annoying - but not many people seem to use them)

For full manuscripts I'd say either have it bound with comb/wire binding and an acetate cover (nice and simple, easy to open/read, not too heavy) or keep it loose but put it in one of those card folders or a box so that I have somewhere to store it without losing half of chapter 27.

Katie
    by Jumbo at 11:12 on 11 March 2004
    This is really useful! Thanks for all your contributions!

I like the idea of ringing the hypothetical agent and seeing whay they say - but I have got some information from a very reliable hypo. source - so I think I can guess what the hypo. agent might say!!

Thanks again!

Jumbo