Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Synopsis and Time Shift
    by Jumbo at 19:38 on 06 March 2004
    I'm now working on a second novel in which great chunks of the action are told in flashback form. The current one I'm grappling with (The Darkest of Lies) actually starts with the characters right at the end of the storyline (if you see what I mean!).

My question is - Should a synopsis for this novel be in chronological order - or should it follow the events as they unfold in the novel?

I can see logic in both forms. Any comments or suggestions?

John
  • Re: Synopsis and Time Shift
    by Account Closed at 21:03 on 06 March 2004
    John - in her very helpful book, "From Pitch to Publication", Carole Blake of Blake Friedmann agents (a top agent) says that the synopsis should be told in the order you find it in the book - ie if you start with a scene from 1980 and then Chapter 2 is a scene from 1999 and then Chapter 3 is 1985, then in the synopsis you have 1980, followed by 1999 and then 1985.

Hope this helps - and her book is well worth the read!

Best wishes

Anne B
    by Jumbo at 00:19 on 07 March 2004
    Anne

Thanks for that! That's a great help. And thanks for the pointer to the book, as well! Another one on the list of things I must read!

Thanks agaian.

Regards

John
    by Dee at 12:40 on 07 March 2004
    Hi John... I'll second that. It's a 'must have' book.

Having said that - I think, as long as the story line is clear in your synopsis, you could write it either way.

Off to read Exit 21 now...

Dee
    x
    by Jumbo at 15:47 on 07 March 2004
    Ta!!