Login   Sign Up 

• On the short story piece I posted.
    by Becca at 10:32 on 06 March 2004
    The piece I posted under Good Short Story Writing seems to have got lost. Will sort it out later and re-post it.
    Becca.

<Added>

Again couldn't post it, jinxed somehow. So I'm going to try again on here.
    I think there is still a belief that a short story is just a truncated novel, and that short story writers are people who haven't yet got around to writing their novels. This is not the case; the short story is a different discipline that has very specific restraints and requirements, and I think is very hard to do well.
    A couple of days ago I came across a story that I think comes as close to the pure form as I've seen for a long time, possibly since reading Arthur Porges's 'The Puddle.' The writer is Anne Marie, (Anisoara), and the story is 'The Potato.' A.M. has given me permission to write about it and say why I rate it.
    The story appears simple,- in fact is simple,- but it engages with much bigger ideas beyond its immediate context.
    It's very focused and does not wander off the point. There are no irrelevant details leaving the reader thinking 'Oh, what happened to that then?'
    The characters and setting are described elegantly in a few skilfully written sentences,- and you can instantly visualise it. Anisoara tells you just enough about the characters and no more, she leaves the rest for the reader to invent, that's not only intelligent, but shows her respect for the readers' intelligence.
    There are 5 characters in the story, the Potato being one of them, (the Potato becomes a character seamlessly, the reader cares about his fate). There is no confusion about who the characters are as there can be when the numbers start to rise.
    The dialogue is well written with exactly the number of words it needs, and they are important words, - the reader does not notice the 'he said' and she said.'
    The pace of the story is consistant and confident.
    There is no ego in this story, no attempt to be ambitious just for the sake of it, and there's huge warmth in it.
    I think I'm right in saying that the story comes from personal experience and yet it is not written as an 'account' or 'report' (which always suggests that the writer doesn't want to really relinquish the story because it is personal, and yet is dying to tell someone). A.M. has the generosity to make it into anyone's story. She has taken the material and fashioned it into a beautifully crafted story, a jewel.
    I know she has edited it since we crited it, - I'm not saying it was, or is now, the perfect short story, but no story ever is, although 'The Potato' comes close to what short story writers are up to, and in less than 1,500 words.
    So I'd say, for writers who are interested in the craft of short story writing, (if I can use such a folksy, starchy? term), take a look.
    Becca.
  • Re: On the short story piece I posted.
    by Watson at 20:59 on 06 March 2004
    Hi Becca,
    I tried to find 'the Potato' as I wanted to read it but couldn't find it. Is it still on the site?
    by Becca at 07:29 on 07 March 2004
    Hi Susan, it's on Fiction Writers Group 111. I should have said that before.
    Becca.
    by Skeetr at 09:03 on 07 March 2004
    Becca,

I certainly will take a look at "The Potato" in a moment, but wanted to comment on your first statement -- I'm not a short story writer myself, but it is one of my favorite forms of fiction. And, you are so right, it is a form in and of itself, not a truncated version of any other thing. Far too many people begin writing short stories without a true respect for the form, thinkin that it is only a way to exercise or warm up before the big show. I'm glad you took the time, not only to make your point, but to elucidate what you believe makes a good story good. I think appreciative short story reading need to be encouraged as well as good short story writing.

Smith
    by Becca at 09:48 on 07 March 2004
    Thanks Smith, it's good for me to be able to elucidate what I mean as well, it can sometimes be difficult to explain why a thing doesn't work as a short story. So to be able to say what does helps me.
    Becca.
    by Watson at 10:37 on 07 March 2004
    I have just read Ani's short story. It is a beautiful and well written story. I loved it. I hope it gets published - it deserves to be.
    by Tez at 11:34 on 07 March 2004
    Yes, I thought the story was very well written. It has also been instrumental in the fact the Becca has been able to use this story to set guidlines which are of great use to the embryo writer. I have printed both the story and Becca's detailed asssesment of it as a basis for my own work.

Thank again Becca!
    by Becca at 19:01 on 07 March 2004
    Welcome Tez.
    Becca.