Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 22 message thread spans 2 pages:  < <   1  2 
  • Re: Do you think JK Rowling should win ANOTHER prize?
    by Account Closed at 13:33 on 26 February 2004
    Upon visiting my diary, there is a function for adding comments at the bottom of every entry. Here you can have a similar 'thread' discussion regarding the entry, much as you can on WW.

Of course, being on my diary, I alone have the power to edit/delete comments...
    by James Anthony at 13:54 on 26 February 2004
    ib, you'll always be a god to me
    by Davy Skyflyer at 16:48 on 26 February 2004
    Dear Insane Bloke

If you think I am reading, let alone responding to, all that, you've got another thing coming. I just can't be bothered.

Sorry about that. I'm sure it is all very quirky and hilarious though...

by Account Closed at 16:55 on 26 February 2004
    If you do not wish to eat worms, refrain from opening the can.

And I was looking forward to a right old barney on my diary =(
    by Sue H at 19:06 on 26 February 2004
    Just got this from the publishing news thingy:
    "J K Rowling has been given an honorary doctorate by Edinburgh University". There is no end to the woman's prizes. Jealous, me? Yes, actually! I could do with her millions but more importantly, I could do with being published! That's the crux of the matter. Unless I re-write the Highway Code, I don't suppose that if I do ever get a chance of being published that I, along with 99.9% of other writers, would sell nearly as much as she has. Having said that, I do admire her. Her writing is not great and her story lines vary very little from book to book - and yes, I have read them all - but her characters are believable and likeable. I think her success lies in the fact that the reader does want to know what happens to Harry et al. They have become "real" people. Luck has obviously had a lot to do with it as well but I'm sure she has worked as damned hard as the rest of us. In my opinion book 5 is much weaker than the last and I wonder whether she can continue in this vein but, hey, she doesn't need to. As for writing anything else and trying to sell it - she's richer than the queen. She doesn't need to sell another word. She can write complete and utter crap in one of her many fabulous homes just for her own amusement. And before anyone jumps down my throat - I like the woman, really I do, and I know that she does a lot for charity!
    Sue
    by olebut at 10:02 on 27 February 2004
    Forbes have today published their richest people list and I have copied a small section but she is well down the list, which no doubt will not bother Joanna one jot.

NEW YORK - Not even Joanne Kathleen Rowling could have imagined the power her pubescent wizard possessed.

With a few flicks of his magic wand, Harry Potter has turned Rowling into a billionaire (we estimate she's worth $1 billion). She's one of only five self-made female billionaires, and the first billion-dollar auth
    by Account Closed at 22:55 on 25 March 2004
    It just goes to show you all, doesn't it?

Even if you write like an eighties hack, pinch almost every other idea from children's books throughout history, and then have said books made into inane, badly acted movies, you can still be a SUCCESS!

Mwah ha ha....

<Added>

Oh, and when your dress sense is mid-eighties housewife...poor poor JK.
  • This 22 message thread spans 2 pages:  < <   1  2