Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Fish Short Story Comp - Fire
    by SamMorris at 17:08 on 20 February 2004
    Hello,

I've just received the following by mail from Fish Publishing :

"I'm writing to ask if you could please send another copy of the story you
    entered for the Fish Very Short Story Prize. A fire completely destroyed
    the office of Fish Publishing on Saturday and the entries to the competition
    were lost in the blaze.

Thank you in advance and apologies for the inconvenience.

Best wishes.

Clem Cairn"
  • Re: Fish Short Story Comp - Fire
    by haunted at 18:02 on 20 February 2004
    Sam,

Did you enter my snail mail or e-mail? Just wondering because i entered too but i haven't heard anything from them.

Louise
    by swandale at 18:39 on 20 February 2004
    I entered by email, but haven't heard anything either. I wonder if it's worth resending it anyway, or if they just lost the ones they got on paper.
    Sam
    by haunted at 18:51 on 20 February 2004
    I've just sent them a quick e-mail to check if it's just paper entries. Will let you know the response.
    by Tabitha at 23:31 on 20 February 2004
    Is this a serious post? Or are you just jumping on the pulp.net burglary bandwagon?! I entered, and have heard nothing... But maybe my writing isn't worth a light.
    by SamMorris at 00:34 on 21 February 2004
    As far as I know it's serious, I'm not jumping on any bandwagon, why would I do that!?

I submitted via snail mail - so perhaps it only effected the paper based entries?
    by Becca at 08:12 on 21 February 2004
    That's terrible for them, they might have lost all sorts of things. Could be a small publishing set-up starting out.
    Becca.
    by Dee at 18:44 on 21 February 2004
    I know, from personal experience, how devastating a fire can be… so my heart goes out to them.

If it destroyed the office, it will have destroyed their computers so, unless they had all their files backed up and stored in a fireproof safe, I think you can assume that all entries will have been lost.

Dee.
    by old friend at 20:02 on 21 February 2004
    I experienced an office fire some years ago. It was dreadful to witness the damage that the fire and then the firemen had caused so I am 'with' Dee on this occasion.

Len

by Dee at 21:12 on 21 February 2004
    Thanks, Len.

Six years ago my partner and I woke up in the middle of the night to find ourselves trapped upstairs in a burning house. We found that pretty traumatic, as I’m sure you can imagine, but it’s understandable because it’s our home and we were in danger.

More recently, though, I heard that the premises of one of our suppliers had been destroyed by fire. One of our buyers went over there to assess the damage – only, as he thought, to our supply chain - and came back so traumatised he ended up in tears. He had gone to what he had thought would be (simply) a fire-damaged building and discovered a seriously distressed crowd of people.

The point I’m trying to make – in my clumsy way – is that fire and flood (been there too) affect people more deeply than anyone would believe unless they have experienced them – be it in their home or their workplace. Anyone writing a story involving a fire could bear this in mind. I would never have believed how far reaching the experience could be.

Dee.
    by swandale at 11:33 on 22 February 2004
    I'd just like to say, my previous comment on this thread sounds quite selfish, but I just assumed that if they had sent out letters asking for entries to be resent, then the damage couldn't have been that bad. Maybe I was wrong.

Of course, my sympathy goes to everybody at Fish Publishing.

Sam
    by haunted at 13:26 on 22 February 2004
    I assumed the same thing Sam. I imagined that if they still had contact deatils for certan people then not everything could have been damaged. Perhaps they had some information stored somewhere else.

Its a terrible thing to happen, lets hope they recover from it quickly.

Louise
    by haunted at 19:52 on 23 February 2004
    A quick update for those who entered the competition.

Fish still have the stories from everyone that entered on-line, so you don't need to re-send them.

At least they were blessed enough to not lose everything.
    by Becca at 13:04 on 24 February 2004
    Hey, and Sam, you didn't sound selfish saying what you said, I just wanted to present another possibility because often small publishers are writers themselves who love literature and struggle to keep mags going,(sometimes they are not, of course). From time to time on WW I refer to the fact because I think we should be supporting small publishers and they should be supporting us; we are almost the same people.
    Becca.
    by TeeFoley at 20:29 on 28 February 2004
    Hi

I entered too. that is really strange....

If I was you I would ask this site if they know anything, the host's etc as if this is the case and business is affected they should not be taking money from people to enter their competition..

Tee.xx
    ps let us know.