Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Writers Inc - Writer-of-the-Year Comp
    by Tabitha at 22:34 on 19 January 2004
    I received the latest copy of Mslexia this morning. Included was an entry form for Writers Inc. Writers-of-the-Year Competition 2004.

I was amazed to read that 'a portion' (whatever that may mean!) 'of the prize fund may be allocated as Writers Inc. bursaries, awarded to writers from London, to attend a writing weekend at the Abbey in Sutton Courtenay, Oxfordshire.'

Very nice. But what a great way of excluding writers from Glasgow, Manchester, Cardiff, Belfast, etc., who will surely not be parting with any of their hard-earned cash in entry fees to subsidise a course they have no hope in hell of taking part in.

Perhaps the competition should be renamed 'London Writers-of-the-Year'...?

If I've overlooked something, perhaps someone can enlighten me!
  • Re: Writers Inc - Writer-of-the-Year Comp
    by Sue H at 06:23 on 20 January 2004
    Writers Inc is London based, and their site says "Writing for London" but it does seem a trifle odd to expect writers from elsewhere to fund something that they cannot take part in themselves, unless only London based writers can enter the competition. Maybe they should get outside funding for the bursaries and leave the prize money as it stands? Actually on the funding front - I work for a jewellery association that received funding from the Arts Council. They also fund individuals, including writers, from £200 - £30,000. I'm still trying to think of a valid excuse for applying. If anyone is interested the site is
    http://www.artscouncil.org.uk

Sue
    by Account Closed at 09:17 on 20 January 2004
    So, the Arts Council, funded by my taxes, subsidises writers, whose only required tools are pen and paper?

Oh, how I rage at the continuing waste of my money as it is spread around the country like a thick layer of butter, aiding smokers, drug addicts, poets, failed and failing writers, "jewellery associations", art exhibits and crap films.

It is a wonder that anyone lives a normal life, when failing, unlawful behaviour and general deviancy reap much greater rewards and freebies than a life of servitude and submission within the acceptable rungs of ordinary society.

If something cannot fund itself, is it not in the wrong line of business?
    by Sue H at 14:54 on 20 January 2004
    Might be a bit harsh presuming that only failing, unlawful and generally deviant people get funding?! I do agree with you to a degree, IB, that funding can be given left, right and centre to many unworthy causes, but it can also be very beneficial to community groups, regional educational activities etc. I personally am glad the my "jewellery association" receives funding. If it didn't I would probably not have a job. Call me hypocritical if you wish, and you probably will, but there you have it. How many artists, writers, craftspeople are totally self funding and can make a living from their "art"? Very few. Many writers can't give up their day job how ever hard they work, however much they write. Why shouldn't they receive financial help? Who really is self sufficient - both indivuals and businesses? I have an overdraft and credit card debt, and a mortgage and I'm not unusual. Being debt free and able to self fund is probably more of an anomaly these days. It's depressing but becoming the norm. It's easier to get credit - again for both the individual and the business, in fact the Standard leads tonight with a story about the enormous rise in student debt. Funding, therefore, is not necessarily a bad thing. What is bad is the way things are funded. The government needs to look at the allocation of public and private funds. If we do truly live in a democracy, then we ought to have the power to do something about it. There, that's my rant of the day. Anyone else?
    Sue
    by Account Closed at 16:24 on 20 January 2004
    Personally, I'm proud to say that, with the exception of student loans debts, which only exist due to personal lethargy stopping me from paying them off, I have no debts.

I have credit cards, but refuse to use them. I have no mortgage - £200k debts, no thanks - no loans, no car, and I'm fine.

The reason so many "artists" have trouble being self-sufficient on their art alone is, quite simply, because there are too many 'artists'. If more people concentrated on careers they were likely to succeed in, there would be less need for others to seek financial aid.

What this country - and the rest of the 'developed world' - needs is a sense of reality. Personally, I could never live by feeding from somebody else's hand. The degree of submission required, and the level of degredation resulting would cleave my soul in two.

I don't mean to attack you by saying this. It's nothing personal. If nothing else is clear about me, it should be that I'm a bitter, misanthropic cynic, forever bedamning political duplicity, environmental ignorance and general human apathy.

A lot of people will complain about 'freebies' and 'benefits' going to the wrong people, but rather than make a difference, rather than force the winds of change to blow with unprecedented vigour, these same people don't bother themselves with general elections, and instead contribute to ever higher records for phone-in votes on Pop Idol and Big Brother, obsess themselves with whatever tabloid they read tells them is the latest craze, whatever special interest publication they read tells them is the latest fashion.

In a society where the responsibility for the world around us lies solely with the individuals within it, the people have shunned their responsibilities in favour of short term pleasures, long term debts and demands that the world owes them something.

I've gone off on one here, haven't I? Sorry =(
    by Sue H at 16:39 on 20 January 2004
    You are entirely right of course. Consumerism has taken over our society. People want everything, especially what they are told they want, and they want it now. And it is a great great shame that people will vote for pop idol et al rather than voting in local and general elections. The day each person takes responsibility for themselves totally, the world will change. I may be pessimistic, but I don't see that happening. I'm impressed that you live by your ideals though. If only I were as strong! But you do have your student loans, so maybe you are human after all??
    Sue
    by Account Closed at 17:00 on 20 January 2004
    The fact that I have no qualifications to show for the loans only embitters me all the more....
    by Sue H at 17:30 on 20 January 2004
    I laughed!!! I read a comment from you and I laughed!!! You must be lightening up... Hang on a minute... You're not joking, are you? You mean it? aaarrrggghhh.............
    by Tabitha at 19:56 on 20 January 2004
    My thread seems to have gone off topic slightly, but what the heck! It's been an interesting diversion. :-)

Sue, the comp doesn't seem to be purely for London-based writers. At least, there's nothing in the guidelines to suggest that.
    by Account Closed at 08:16 on 21 January 2004
    Sue, two things to note:

1) It's true, I got nothing for the loans.

2) Very few of my comments should be taken seriously, as I don;t take them very seriously myself.

Mine is just a brand of humour that is difficult to get across on the internet.

Except for that rant up there. I meant every word of that. Oh yes.
    by olebut at 08:53 on 21 January 2004
    The Arts Council and the Heretige Lottery fund etc do in my view do a great job. Although they may fund some projects which seem obscure they also fund some great projects.
    Forest of Dean Radio is a comunity Radio project funded by these two bodies. Without them we would not have a Radio staion in the Forest, one which gives the whole community the chance to make programmes and be a part of it if they want. Experience on the station has already led to a number of volunteers getting paid jobs in the media which they probably would not have if they hadn't had the experience gained on the Radio. It also gives children throughout the Forest the chance to make programmes and broadcst for themselves.

Other projects inlude funding for those who may be disadvataged through mental or physical disability or age, to experience artistic projects for themselves, it allows artistic and creative courses to be run in rural communities for thsoe for whom access would be impossible.

For those of us that live in the sticks the help of these two organisations is in valuable.

by the way Insane I think your mad but i do appreciate your brand of humour

take care all

david