Login   Sign Up 

This 55 message thread spans 4 pages:  < <   1   2  3  4  > >  
  • Re: Waterstones competition to find new talent (named WOW)
    by Sue H at 16:02 on 20 October 2005
    I still haven't heard anything either!
    Sue
    by Issy at 01:46 on 22 October 2005
    I understand that the judging of this competition was on an area basis and that people who haven't yet heard could well have been on the long short list.

Apparently Waterstones shops selected the three best entries to be passed to the area buyer, who then selected what they deemed to be the best. This then produced 13 regional entries as finalists.

It seems there were something like 450 entries on the long short list.

So take heart if you haven't heard - might be something to go on your writing CV at least.
    by debbieb at 09:52 on 22 October 2005
    Issy
    Interesting way of selecting. Thanks for this bit of info. I still haven't heard although they did tell me it was going out in the post on Monday!!
    Debbie
    by Issy at 09:58 on 22 October 2005
    Would have been worth submitting to the Watestones in the remoter regions of the British Isles.

I still can't find a definitive list of the winners - nothing like rubbing salt in - I didn't see This Morning.

<Added>

Was interested particularly because Faber have had my first children's novel for some time and wanted to get a "feel" for what is currently attracting them, but they seem to have had no input in the initial stages.
    by Zoe_ at 10:16 on 22 October 2005
    I also entered and haven’t received anything. I just thought my entry had been filed in the bin, after all, the winners have been announced (even if it was a bit unclear) haven’t they?
    (here is the link: http://www.itvthismorning.co.uk/NewsAndFeaturesArticle.aspx?fid=262&tid=2)

But after reading that bit of news from Issy I’m hoping that we get told if we were on any kind of short list. I’d be pleased with that.

Or perhaps my work is in the bin after all.
    by Elbowsnitch at 11:06 on 22 October 2005
    Would have been worth submitting to the Watestones in the remoter regions of the British Isles.

Yes, you're right, mine's pretty remote (Newcastle) and that's probably the only reason I got through the initial selection process (said in a depressed voice).

Elbow
    by Issy at 11:53 on 22 October 2005
    Elbow - surely Newcastle isn't that remote? Was thinking of rural areas with maybe a sheep, a couple of goats and a Waterstones, but this place probably doesn't exist outside my imagination.

It's great you made the first shortlist - after that it must be down to personal preference.
    by Elbowsnitch at 12:45 on 22 October 2005
    Thanks, Issy - just checked the web - there's one in Perth and another in Ballymena, but I think that's as remote as it gets.

Elbow

<Added>

I mean as Waterstone's gets
    by Issy at 13:46 on 22 October 2005
    Zoe, Many thanks. I'm actually struggling with this link to bring up the details fo the competition winners. Do I need to go into something else after using the link?

Might be my browser.

Many thanks anyway.
    by Zoe_ at 14:27 on 22 October 2005
    Sorry! For some reason, that link doesn't work at all! Try this http://www.itv-thismorning.co.uk
    then click on news and features, if you scroll down you will see the item 'Wow factor finalists.'
    by Colin-M at 14:32 on 22 October 2005
    I was led to believe that Newcastle had a really big response. I went to Waterstones at Monument twice and they never had any entry forms in. They said they were going through loads. There is a big student population in the Toon (Newcastle, to southerners and those in far off shores). There are two universities, and each offer an MA in creative writing. So don't put yourself down, Elbow. Sounds like you did well.

Colin M
    by Issy at 15:36 on 22 October 2005
    Found it, many thanks. Three hundred thousand! I thought I read somewhere 3,500 entries!

So now what's going to happen to the publishing world when three hundred thousand scripts hit editors/agents desks?

I can forgive the organisers for the tardy information and organisation. That number of entrants defies belief.
    by Elbowsnitch at 17:11 on 22 October 2005
    Thanks, Colin-M - Yas aalreet, ye are (as we say).

300,000 entries! - now that IS depressing.

Elbow

<Added>

Just looked again at my letter from Waterstone's - it says "We received over 3,500 entries"
    by Issy at 21:14 on 22 October 2005
    Yes you're right, now I've looked again, this is what mine says. This Morning must have got it wrong.
    by PhilB at 14:02 on 24 October 2005
    If you want to read the form rejection letter I got then look in the Lounge Forum.
    Phil.
  • This 55 message thread spans 4 pages:  < <   1   2  3  4  > >