Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Val McDermid call for short stories
    by Anna Reynolds at 10:38 on 23 April 2003
    Calling all short story writers- top crimewriter Val McDermid has offered her services for free as editor of a new online anthology. Val is spearheading the short story campaign in an attempt to attract nationwide notice to an undervalued form of writing. She wants stories from new and established names- two will be published online a month, you can subscribe for free to download them. No longer than 5000 words- in Word or RTF, with name and address. There's no payment but hey! think of the kudos. Closing date APRIL 30! e to kate.griffin@artscouncil.org.uk, also email her for updates on the campaign.
  • Re: Val McDermid call for short stories
    by Account Closed at 11:17 on 23 April 2003
    Given that this idea is being 'spearheaded' by a crimewriter, will submissions be expected to be crime related?

Only I don't have a taste for whodunnits....
    by Anna Reynolds at 13:07 on 23 April 2003
    No. The whole campaign is about bringing the short story back into popular focus, and Val will be editing- she's simply backing and editing the campaign. I quote: 'I'm hoping that authors will donate stories as a way of supporting the campaign- it will give them access to new readers as well as providing a strategic weapon in the battle to get publishers and editors to take the form more seriously.' It will represent a 'wide range of writing and submissions are invited across forms- from genre to literary fiction'. There you are!
    by Account Closed at 13:09 on 23 April 2003
    Cheers, might just formulate a passable submission then!

However, looking at the time, is it possible the forum clock is a little off target?
    by Anna Reynolds at 13:19 on 23 April 2003
    Very good. Well spotted. Webmaster will I'm sure intervene. But it still means you have 7 days and...er.. 11 hours and some seconds left to enter!