Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 85 message thread spans 6 pages:  < <   1   2   3  4  5   6  > >  
  • Re: Has anyone heard of the Brit Writers Awards?
    by EmmaD at 20:48 on 16 May 2010
    I guess I come from a philosophical background, where words tend to mean exactly what they mean and we don't tend to be too keen on inferences and connotations and euphemisms!

LoL Nez! I guess I come from a creative writing background where a large part of my job is exploiting or playing with exactly those inferences and connotations and euphemisms...

'What would Darwin make of Facebook?'

Good question. He was a great networker, so I'm sure he'd see the advantages. Or are we talking evolutionary processes?

it's that we thought we'd achieved something and now discover that, actually, we haven't.

I don't know enough about it, but on the face of it, being one of 1500 out of 21,000 is quite an achievement...

Emma
    by susieangela at 21:00 on 16 May 2010
    Thanks, Emma. {)
    Susiex
    by nezelette at 16:29 on 18 May 2010
    Good question. He was a great networker, so I'm sure he'd see the advantages. Or are we talking evolutionary processes?

Yes, talking evolutionary processes, Emma. Some neo-Darwinists suggest that it is communication that makes us cooperate to such an extent, with strangers that do not share our genes, for instance. My article explores the idea that virtual communication could make us more cooperative and moral. Technically, we are widening society by communicating with an ever-growing number and range of people. I think Darwin would have been fascinated, as he was by the fact that we are behaving quite civilly towards one another.

Absolutely gripping stuff. I make my pupils study Darwin in a philosophical context and they love it.
    by Demonqueen at 13:10 on 19 May 2010
    Sorry to jump in here, but all of what you have said is news to me! I have received an email to say I have gone through to 3rd round, and that if chosen as a finalist a TV crew will call to arrange filming the finalists for when the catagories come up at the ceremony (which I thought an odd way to inform you you're through). I had no idea how many contenders there are left in it -- until now! I assumed a blanket email went out to all entrants but it seems that different people are receiving different information.
    They've said to check all contact details are correct and if you're through you'll be contacted beginning of June.

<Added>

And am I looking at the wrong FB page because all they seem to be talking about (for weeks) is uploading videos, I've not seen any reference to what stage of judging they're at, how many, and this thing about higher level judges??? I paid £10.95 to be judged by the panel they advertised!
    by nezelette at 15:19 on 19 May 2010
    If you look at the comments of the videos (especially the last two that were uploaded) you will see that all the debate is about judging / how many people are left in the comp / whether it is a scam or not.

So far everyone seems to have been successful except from two people who tell everyone it cannot possibly be a scam as they have been rejected. Some people are very sceptical. Others just think they had too many entries and are now drowning in the judging process.

Personally, I think there is no way it can be a scam, but that they do seem to be struggling a little...
    by Steerpike`s sister at 11:05 on 21 May 2010
    It's a bit reminiscent of the You Write On competition, isn't it? I can't imagine it's a scam, but it does give the impression of having been set up by people who know more about PR and marketing than writing.
    by EmmaD at 12:37 on 21 May 2010
    Anyone remember, a few years back, when someone offered a bursary for someone wanting to write a novel? It was entirely well-intentioned and they set about it in a business-like way, and they had thought through the basic practicalities.

But the people offering it obviously hadn't a clue just how many people out there need or want to be kept afloat for a year while they write. (Not that I know how you would get that clue - you need to spend quite some time hanging around in the writing world, and with enough of a foot in the publishing world...) They were completely swamped, clearly couldn't cope, and had to send back all the entry fees and cancel the bursary.

Emma
    by nezelette at 13:52 on 21 May 2010
    I really do think something like that is going on in the case of the Brit Writers' Awards. It must be a complete logistical nightmare. Even Bridport doesn't get 21,000 entries. In fact I've ever heard of such a huge number of entries, have you?
    by EmmaD at 14:02 on 21 May 2010
    As someone said, if you don't charge more for more entries, that is what'll happen. I know it's hard on people without much money, but it does concentrate the mind on only sending your best stuff... Especially if you're already inclined to think that winning prizes and getting published is a numbers game, and you're no good at telling which of your work is better than which, you might think you're more likely to win if you bung in loads. But it's a bit like saying that you're more likely to win the lottery if you buy 5 tickets than one. True, but...

Emma
    by susieangela at 15:08 on 21 May 2010
    I guess there are so many entries because the comp's open to, I think, seventeen different categories, nine of which are for children. Supposing that schools across the country are bunging in whole classes' work, that might well bump the numbers up somewhat. Oh, and people like me who entered in three different categories.
    Maybe there weren't actually so many entries in the adult sections?
    They're publishing the finalists lists on June 14th.
    Susiex
    by cherys at 15:52 on 21 May 2010
    Are they Susie. Wow, not a lot of time for them to sift then.
    by susieangela at 23:17 on 23 May 2010
    by blackdove at 14:30 on 14 June 2010
    They are announcing the finalists today - has anyone heard anything??!

Michelle
    by nezelette at 14:33 on 14 June 2010
    Nope! Nothing! It's supposed to be after 5pm. I'm in quite a big BWA group on facebook too and no-one has heard anything there either.
    Anyone else here?
    by EmmaD at 14:58 on 14 June 2010
    They have got form for not managing to do things quite as soon as they thought they could/said they would.

Emma
  • This 85 message thread spans 6 pages:  < <   1   2   3  4  5   6  > >