Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• This is way beyond me…
    by Account Closed at 17:25 on 11 September 2008
    I quite Legend Press – they publish some witty books by a friend of mine, Nick Griffiths.

But I was gobsmacked by the submission guidelines for their next collection of short stories.

Must be 9000-12000 words, all actions/thoughts to occur in single room in a stream-of-consciousness style. No genres. Must be inspirational.

Bloody hell! Talk about tough nut to crack. This seems either very brave, to me, or a recipe for producing severe tedium in the reader.

Anyone fancy it?

<Added>

That should be, 'I quite like…' Apologies.
  • Re: This is way beyond me…
    by NMott at 18:33 on 11 September 2008
    That sounds very like Alan Bennett-style monologues.

- NaomiM
    by coffeecup at 11:18 on 02 October 2008
    I tried last year and thoroughly enjoyed it in the end. I was shortlisted but told I'd just missed out which was frustrating as who else would want a 9,000 stream of consciousness piece!
    by Nym at 11:57 on 02 October 2008
    I think I might have my wires crossed, because of Legend Press sponsoring the You write On POD thingumy, but are they a POD publisher or a traditional small press, whatever that is. And is that good, or bad, or does it just mean small print runs?
    by NMott at 13:50 on 02 October 2008
    Legend Press is a POD - Print On Demand - publisher. No they are not like a traditional publisher that puts out a small print run and takes a hit on any that are not sold.
    POD publishers have their place in the market - normally niche markets where small quantities of books are required - and by small quantities, that can be as few as one.

- NaomiM
    by Nym at 14:06 on 02 October 2008
    That helps clear it up for me, thanks Naomi.
    by Nym at 23:52 on 05 October 2008
    I tried last year and thoroughly enjoyed it in the end. I was shortlisted

That's no mean feat, congrats on having been shortlisted, Coffeecup.

To be honest I'm feeling a touch irritated with myself, because I'm disappointed I don't have enough time on this one to make my sub worthwhile. I know that sounds like an excuse, but I've been sketching this out for a couple of days now. Anyway, good luck to those who are entering this year