Login   Sign Up 

• Multiple Entries Poetry Comps
    by word`s worth at 09:54 on 18 June 2004
    For the first time I'm seriously thinking about entering some poetry (perhaps short stories) in some competitions. I've been reading the rules etc to some of these comps and most of them say you can enter as many poems as you wish (usually with a fee for each poem). That's fine...but can I enter the same poem in more than one competition?

I think the answer would probably be no from the comp organiser point of view because what if (big if) the same poem wins in both competitions - there are big monetary prizes to these comps. But from the poet's point of view - I want to be able to submit what I feel is my best work in order to give me the confidence that I have a better chance of winning all the comps I enter. Hmmm...

Thing is - all these competitions are happening at the same time - so it's not like I can enter one - find out I haven't won then enter the other one.

For those who've entered these poetry competitions before...your advice is needed! Thanks.

(same goes for short stories)

Nahed
  • Re: Multiple Entries Poetry Comps
    by tinyclanger at 12:53 on 18 June 2004
    It's a bugger isn't it, Wordy? I've had the same problem recently as there seem to be lots of comps right now all closing about the same time.

I recently sent what I consider my best stuff to one that I was really interested in, but did keep a couple back for another one as I felt they would have a better chance there, but it's all guesswork.

I think all you can do is either assume it will be OK and send the best to all of 'em, or try and see if you can get a feel that some work would go down better in one place rather than another. One of the ones I kept back for the second comp was about London, and the comp is for London writers. Now I know they don't specifically want a London theme, but I felt it may hit a target better there...?

Also think about which is the more prestigious, will give you the most impact if you win. Or if you're broke like me right now, which has the best prize money!!

I haven't been much help as like you I'm just figuring all this out. But you're not alone in your dilemma!
    x
    tc
  • Re: Multiple Entries Poetry Comps
    by word`s worth at 22:33 on 18 June 2004
    Thanks, tc, for replying. aye is it a bugger, but I suppose it's best to be safe than sorry. I'll do as you suggest and submit entries according to what the competitions can offer me in return IF I win. Obviously the money would be good, but I think I'd be quite happy to just see my name in print for the first time - then they'll have to show me the money!

Nahed x