Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 20 message thread spans 2 pages: 1  2  > >  
  • So, how many of us entered End Of Story closing date 31st?
    by Elsie at 16:54 on 27 May 2004
    After a 3 week 'writers block' (my first - what fun!)I broke it today to enter the BBC End Of Story Competition at the last minute. I did the Sue Townsend One. Who's entered which?

A new writer friend, who I met in the library trying to find the booklet, also sent hers off today - she said the woman in the queue in front of her was also sending an entry. Once the date has past (last day for guaranteed delivery tomorrow I would think) maybe we could have a thread to post our entrys for a sneak preview!
    Elsie
  • Re: So, how many of us entered End Of Story closing date 31st?
    by word`s worth at 17:05 on 27 May 2004
    Hi Elsie,

I entered mine a while back. I chose Dryad by Joanne Harris. Not sure we should risk uploading it here in case it disqualifies our enteries. You never know with these things! I'll definitely upload it though once the competition is over and they've named their shortlist/winner.

Thanks for reminding me though...I had sent in my application - I think about five days after they published the half stories - I'd forgotten I had entered!

Good luck with it! Hope to see your name on the list!

Nahed
    by Elsie at 17:32 on 27 May 2004
    Ooh, that's true. Sorry my enthusiasm got the better of me there..I can quite imagine they not be happy, now you mention it. Duh!
    by tinyclanger at 19:04 on 27 May 2004
    I intended to have a go, but realised it was hopeless as soon as I saw the a stories. I couldn't do a thing with any of them. I fear prose and I will never learn how to dance together. :-( Not that I try that hard, I suppose...!
    Good luck Els - so glad The Block is gone, do we get a fix of UR sometime soon? - and Wordy, and anyone else who entered. Be great to get some winners from WW!

x
    tc

<Added>

But I did enter the Mslexia Poetry Competition this week, that closes on 31st too. So cross a finger for me...
    by Sue H at 19:13 on 27 May 2004
    I did the Sue Townsend one too. Sent it off last week I think. Wasn't too inspired but I liked the characters in that one. I'm damned sure it's not strong enough to win but I enjoyed writing it so that's the main thing! Good luck to everyone and to you tc with the Mslexia competition! Patrick would be proud!
    Sue
    by Elsie at 20:06 on 27 May 2004
    Well done Nahed for making sense of that one..I was completely lost for an angle. And Sue, it will be fascinating to see where we each took the story - I puzzled over the things that were said until it suddenly hit me yesterday what (I thought) was going on. I got the impression that an awful ot of people were doing the Alexei Sayle (it was a very small survey! And we all know, research shows 80% of research is wrong. )
    by Elsie at 20:08 on 27 May 2004
    TC, what was the Myslexia? An annual one, or a monthly subject one? Did you enter something we've seen? How about that meet up some time, now that the sun's come out? (In every sense.) Has it with you?
    Els
    by Sue H at 22:08 on 27 May 2004
    Elsie,
    That's really funny because I was going to do the Alexie Sayle one but couldn't think of where to take it! Maybe I'll pluck up the courage to email you my Sue Townsend one!?
    Sue
    by Elsie at 22:14 on 27 May 2004
    Hi Sue, yes, we could do a swap. I talked to another writer friend about the Alexei one, there seemed only a few options of where to go..but I would love to know where people took it.

Els
    by tinyclanger at 22:24 on 27 May 2004
    Els, I think Mslexia must be an annual one - decent prize - £1000 (already spending it!) You could send up to 5 poems for an entry of a fiver so went for the lot. All have been on WW. Main one that may stand a chance was The 53rd Reason which got a good response from folks, including Experts. We'll see. I don't expect to win, but just must get used to sending stuff out, I'm too unorganized.
    A meet would be great...any ideas? I'm a bit nearer you I think, now we're in Willesden Green (or did you move?) ...

Wordy, I asked this on your poem earlier, but when's Paris? Have I missed it - I'm sure you said May...am thinking it may be this BH weekend? OOh, you lucky thing!

Good luck with your entry Sue, I look forward to reading some of them when it's safe!
    Has anyone joined the Beebs Get Writing site? I have but was afraid to post anything when I read the small print which seemed to suggest any work could be used by the Beeb in any way they wanted. Is this right?
    x
    tc
    by Elsie at 22:32 on 27 May 2004
    TC - really? (About the small print) I didn't spot that. But as yet, in my blonde mode, I have been unable to navigate enough to find any actual work posted. Maybe it's just me. (I am, of course, becoming my main character. But hell, she's learnt a lot recently..) waffle waffle..

I do do believe you're now on the Silverlink line...how about sunny Richmond?
    by word`s worth at 09:40 on 28 May 2004
    Hello ladies,

Doesn't look like many from WriteWords entered the End Of Story - maybe we're in with a chance!!

Elsie, I have to admit that when I first read the short synopsis of Dryad by Joanne Harris - I thought...'eh! What's she on about?' but then when I read her part of the story - it really spoke to me - maybe because I'm a tree lover myself!! I love trees - I can contemplate them for hours! :D

Good luck Sue with your entry - I can't remember the Sue Townsend one now - but I do remember the other ones - something about shoes and another about fear of flying...was it one of them?? Please do upload when the competition is over!

tc - Mslexia - sounds like a disease! An interesting disease though! A fiver entrance fee? I haven't entered any poems to competitions...I might start leafing though the directory and see what I can enter. Nothing to lose and everything to gain I suppose!

Paris..mmmmmm...yes! I went on 10th May, Lady! Where've you been?? It was beautiful and wonderful (Just as I thought) - didn't want to return. When I'm published and ridiculously rich (yeah right)...I'm moving there. Vive La France! And the men!...Phwoar! (nuff said!)

Fingers, eyes and legs crossed for you all!

Nahed x
    by Inspiration at 14:25 on 28 May 2004
    Hi everyone and good luck!

I entered into the End of Story choosing the Shaun Hutson - The Tunnel to complete.

I don't think mine was strong enough either, perhaps not enough gore, but I too had fun doing it.

I'm not sure how they are going to judge, 8 stories against each other. They'll be all so different.

Is there going to be a winner from each story and then one big overall winner?

XXXInniXXX

<Added>

Strange how I have only read one of the other 7 stories. (I thought about doing Sue Townsends, but it didn't seem as if it was really written for a child, as I had hoped it would be).

I saw Shaun Hutson's story and thought, DONT LOOK ANY FURTHER GAL - THAT'S YOUR GENRE!

by Account Closed at 18:19 on 16 June 2004
    17,000 apparently! Good luck everyone!
    by word`s worth at 18:29 on 16 June 2004
    yup got the emails too Elspeth...only bloody downside is that I'm moving house and not sure how to tell them about change of address!! (that's in the very unlikelihood that I'll be shortlisted and they'll send me a letter to notify me!). Plus will be off line for a while so can't check website on reg basis! hmmmm....oh the agony! cru-el fate!!!

• This 20 message thread spans 2 pages: 1  2  > >