Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• SamT on getting down to business as a writer
    by Anna Reynolds at 16:57 on 19 October 2013
    WW member and writer Samantha Tonge tells us why it’s all about Promotion…

… Or so I’ve been told, as the author of a digital-first novel, Doubting Abbey, coming out in December. Dutifully I’ve upped my game on Facebook and Twitter, plus have also joined Pinterest and Tumblr. In addition I constructed a website purely for the book. Also, I’m arranging a blog tour.

However, during the last month, I’ve also learnt a lot about promotion in the real world. In September Alfie Dog Fiction trial-ran a print run of 100 copies of my feel-good short story collection, Sweet Talk. This meant we could offer retailers a decent discount of around 30%, thus making it workable to get physical copies into shops.

Small shops, that is – big book ones, for example, certainly expect a discount more in the region of 55% which is far too big for a small publisher to bear. I have had to think ‘outside the box’ as to which sort of retailer would be happy to stock the book.

That’s my first bit of advice to anyone thinking of going down this route – the cover art is paramount. Choose flowers (with some content relevant) and you could pitch it to florists. What about a coffee cup to make it appealing to your local café?

My cover is a sweet shop, inspired by one of the stories, so my first pitch was to such shops. Many never got back to me. One did and took several copies but hadn’t digested all of the book information form and thought Sweet Talk was for children. After a week or two I took the copies back as the retailer didn’t feel comfortable pitching the book to adults.

So my second piece of advice is yes, put together a book information form to email to a shop or drop off – on it have the retail price, blurb, info about the author and publisher, details about the target audience and contact information. But in addition to this, make sure you make it quite clear to the retailer, from the beginning, exactly who the book is for. Sweet Talk has candy on the cover, plus the publisher’s name ‘Alfie Dog’… I can see how someone might assume it was for children.

Another retailer never got back, despite me contacting them twice and going into their shop. So yes, you will also need your thick skin on. The local post office took two copies but after a month the books have been returned as they need every inch of space for Christmas stock that they know will sell - which is fair enough. I thanked them profusely, nevertheless grateful for the opportunity.

I’m confident I can shift all my copies but realize it might be a long haul. One idea is to drop some off in hairdressers and leave a sample copy for customers to browse though, under the hair dryer. A lovely nail salon near me has just taken 5 copies for its counter. I found that particular retailer on Facebook, in a group I joined where local businesses promote their goods. I posted my book cover and asked if any would be prepared to stock a few copies. The salon tweeted me this morning, having made the first sale! I’ve just found another local group online too, for selling any goods that are brand new.

Other authors I know have had success getting their books into places such a petrol stations, butcher and properties belonging to The National Trust. Also, relatives of mine around the country are doing what they can – take any help offered! In a couple of weeks I am taking part in a charity evening fair at the local school, sharing a stall with a friend who does craft work. Hopefully I’ll sell a few copies there.

It’s been a fascinating learning curve and I’m learning a lot about business. I’ve found that pitching my books on a ‘sale or return’ basis really, is the only way to go. Above all, behave in a professional manner, get some business cards – act as if you are part of these retailers’ world. And smile!
  • Re: SamT on getting down to business as a writer
    by Annecdotist at 09:20 on 23 October 2013
    Love this, such a positive take on something I'd find scary and a bit of a hassle. Good luck Sam – and the website is fantastic