Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• A question of etiquette
    by saturday at 14:50 on 26 April 2013
    I'm starting to think about the agents to whom I would like to sub my next novel. Having subbed two novels in the past, I have a little list of people who have requested the full mss in the past, or who have asked to see future work, and they would normally be my first port of call.

The thing is, there seems to have been quite a lot of movement in the publishing world, with agents changing jobs or agencies merging. So, for example, with the last novel I was asked for the full by an agent at United Agents and also by one at AP Watt. However, now they have merged, would it be inappropriate for me to query both of them, as I know it's generally considered bad form to approach multiple agents at the same agency? Similarly, two agents who have asked to see future work have moved to new jobs at agencies where I already have a contact (iyswim).

Should I just approach them all as though they were still separate, or do I have to choose one person per company and just try them?
  • Re: A question of etiquette
    by CarolineSG at 15:36 on 26 April 2013
    Gosh that is a tricky one.

I'm wondering whether you should sub to both, but being completly transparent about doing so, explaining why. You never know, it might generate a bit of healthy competition and make them read it faster in case the other one snaps it up first!

Interested to see what others advise ...
    by saturday at 10:29 on 27 April 2013
    Thanks, Caroline. So would you put in a line something like this?
    I wouldn't normally submit work to more than one agent within the same company, but on this occasion I have also approached xxx as he, too, asked to read 'Mrs S'.
    by CarolineSG at 10:40 on 27 April 2013
    I think that's fine personally. Maybe just quickly emphasise point that they were of course not colleagues then. This is just my gut feeling but others may disagree. I don't see why not. Agents are often tough as old boots. Think we worry far too much about this stuff. As long as courteous and not pushy, am sure not a problem. Good luck!
    by saturday at 10:46 on 27 April 2013
    This feels like a good suggestion, so thanks again.
    by CarolineSG at 11:07 on 27 April 2013
    I meant as general point in agent dealings there and not that you would be anything other than courteous etc!
    More good luck vibes
    by saturday at 11:11 on 27 April 2013
    I just meant this bit was a good idea!
    Maybe just quickly emphasise point that they were of course not colleagues then

<Added>

Would do a smiley but I still can't do them (except sometimes by accident).
    by CarolineSG at 11:29 on 27 April 2013
    Oh yes I know you did!
    I was just wondering whether that other bit of my post had sounded weird!
    More I think about it, could be good thing that they know the other is interested.
    Keep us posted...
    by JS at 12:35 on 27 April 2013
    Submit away and good luck!
    by EmmaD at 13:07 on 27 April 2013
    Not sure about the etiquette - although when something's really uncertain or could go either way, in my experience it's an indication that it doesn't realy matter.

Best of luck with it, anyway!
    by saturday at 16:16 on 27 April 2013
    Thanks, everyone.

I'm not ready to sub, yet. I've done 4 drafts one after the other and now I'm going to let the mss simmer for a couple of months, but in the meantime I thought I would start to draft covering letters/ write a synopsis, etc - anything to stop me from starting another novel.
    by EmmaH at 09:13 on 06 May 2013
    Agents are often tough as old boots.

Seriously. They have hides like rhinos.