Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 28 message thread spans 2 pages: 1  2  > >  
  • Alfiedog - is it worth it?
    by debac at 12:47 on 18 March 2013
    Is it worth selling stories on Alfiedog.com? Their payment is very low, typically about 16p per story per download. I've no idea how many are usually downloaded - I'm sure it varies a lot, but you're hardly gonna get rich, either way.

But does their acceptance of one of your stories count on your writing cv? Or not? If it does, perhaps it would be worth me giving it a try.

Would love some views on this.

Thanks, Deb
  • Re: Alfiedog - is it worth it?
    by Jem at 13:18 on 18 March 2013
    Debac I don't think it's worth it at all. I have seven stories with them and so far haven't made a penny. I don't care about CVs - only money, lol!!! They've all been previously published and I just thought I'd send them there rather than let them fester in my file. But I might as well not have bothered.
    by debac at 13:21 on 18 March 2013
    That's really interesting, Jem - thanks!

I understand why you don't care about CVs because you're so successful anyway, but what about for lesser mortals such as me? I haven't been published yet cos I haven't tried, really, cos my short stories aren't suitable for women's mags (just not the same kind of thing) and I am concentrating on a novel, but I do have some short stories of mine I quite like which I could send off. Would it be good to put on a writing CV or doesn't it really count?
    by Account Closed at 13:33 on 18 March 2013
    I am too lazy to bother, Debs, because from what i can gather, the earnings are very, very small, and i can't see them building up to much, over time.

Having said that, it's not all about the money for everyone and it is still an achievement to get stories accepted by them - and one of my fb friends is very excited that they have just published an anthology of their stories.

I'd say go for it, if you are trying to get something 'published' onto your writing CV and, as of yet, haven't sold a story elsewhere.

Clearly, from the writers i know published with them, their standards are high, so if you get something accepted i'd say it was worth putting on your CV, when subbing your novel. If nothing else, it shows you write shorts and are getting your work out there and on the web.

<Added>

anthology of HER stories.
    by debac at 14:00 on 18 March 2013
    Thanks Sam. (That IS Sam, isn't it?)

It sounds like it would be an idea to have a think about what stories I've already written might work for them.

Much appreciated.
    by Catkin at 14:01 on 18 March 2013
    A whole anthology of stories might be worth doing with them, because an anthology really is something to shout about. If you're thinking of publishing single stories unpaid, though, just for the CV, there are places that are better known and have more kudos in the writing world than AlfieDog. I say 'unpaid' because at the moment, AlfieDog is more or less unpaid - which is not to say that it won't grow, and eventually become a worthwhile market money-wise, but it sure as hell isn't one at the moment.

Personally, I think it's rarely worth giving work away. If your stories are good you will be able to find a paid home for them. It would make more sense to me to enter them in competitions.

<Added>

AlfieDog keep your money until your sales reach £25. That's why Jem hasn't had any money from her seven stories yet - and she's had them there for months.
    by Terry Edge at 14:02 on 18 March 2013
    I've had a quick look at their site and can't find any mention of quality filters. Which means they probably take almost anything sent their way. Why wouldn't they? No skin off their nose and they may make money out of you. Don't forget: they're not paying you for your story, just taking a massive cut if it happens to sell. How can this possibly be better than putting it up on Amazon/Smashwords, etc, and taking the majority of any sales yourself?

I can't see how this would count for anything on your CV. The point, surely, is to improve your writing so it can sell to genuine quality markets. In this respect, all of us have to draw a line somewhere. I work in SF/Fantasy and know quite a few editors, so I have a feel for what's worth putting in my covering letter and what isn't. In short, it's pro markets and the respected semi-pro ones.

I'd say go for it, if you are trying to get something 'published' onto your writing CV and, as of yet, haven't sold a story elsewhere.

I really don't agree with this. Only if your aims are low. Or to put it another way, if you send a story to say Asimov's, Sheila Williams will be much more impressed if your cover letter says you've had one sale to Analog than if you make a long list of sales to places like this or Bewildering Stories, etc, (e.g. with 50% acceptance rates).

Don't sell yourself cheap, in other words.

<Added>

Sorry, third para should have been in quotes.
    by Account Closed at 14:07 on 18 March 2013
    I think i'm right in saying, Terry, that the stories people have subbed to them have had editorial input from AlfieDog.

Perhaps someone will come on the thread who has dealt with them direct.
    by Jem at 14:13 on 18 March 2013
    Yes, I don't think there is any quality filter there either, frankly. I know the person who runs the site publishes her own stories willy nilly. She did want me to change something in one of the stories I sent but I didn't want to change it because I thought it worked as it stood and so had a previous publisher.

<Added>

Catkin - just read your post. But no - I don't think I've sold even one. It's my own fault because I don't publicise them. PLEASE BUY MY STORIES!!!!!!!!

<Added>

crossed with Petal

<Added>

I would say, having reconsidered my first post that perhaps you should go ahead Debbie. You have nothing to lose and possibly something to gain. I was just looking at the deal from my point of view and I have nothing to gain from it since I can't seem to sell any.

There are so many stories on this site that unless you make a very loud noise and email all your friends and relations and bang on about it on Facebook and Twitter then no one is likely to know you even exist.
    by Account Closed at 14:13 on 18 March 2013
    And i have to disagree, Terry - i don't think agents or whoever are only interested in impressive sales. I think if Debs got a couple of stories accepted, it's at least a way of showing that she is writing shorts and getting work out there and gives them a fuller view of her as a writer.

I remember what it was like sending off novel subs with nothing much at all to put in the covering letter, and IMO this is better that nothing (not that i'm saying you've nothing else to put in there, Debs!)

I suspect you already are, Debs, but i'd also make sure you're entering competitions - a few short-listings and you are on your way, plus CV-wise it all adds to the profile of someone who is serious about their writing.
    by Account Closed at 14:15 on 18 March 2013
    That's interesting, Jem - i'm surprised because of the quality of some of the writers published with them.

But then i stand here to be corrected

<Added>

meaning, i'm not surprised AD accepted them, just that these experienced writers didn't pick up on the lack of quality filter.
    by Jem at 14:18 on 18 March 2013
    Petal I keep crossing with you. I think a lot of good Womagwriters sent stuff in when the site first started up - previously published sales. Like me they thought they had nothing to lose, probably. But it's not taken off like we all hoped.

<Added>

I'd love to publish an anthology of stories - but I don't want to do it myself. Where can I go to get this service? Anywhere?
    by Account Closed at 14:27 on 18 March 2013
    If there is no quality filter, Debs, then i'm not sure it is worth it - all you can do is look at the stories on there, yourself, and decide, as that's what an agent/publisher would do.

Dunno, Jem, why not run a separate thread on it...
    by debac at 14:54 on 18 March 2013
    Ah, thanks everyone. If no quality filter or barely one then it's fairly pointless. It sounds marginal. I know I should enter comps but I don't think shorts are my best work and I don't want to waste novel-writing time faffing about with submissions. But I know I should, from the POV of covering letters/getting noticed etc. Maybe when I've finished the novel completely (all drafts) I will then spend time looking at comps to see which might suit my style.

It really is quite complicated sorting the wheat from the chaff these days, isn't it?
    by Jem at 14:59 on 18 March 2013
    I think we all bombarded AD with stuff before we knew what the quality filter might be. I've seen some good stuff there but some rubbish too. I actually think there are far too many stories there for people to be able to sort the wheat from the chaff, frankly.

Debbie, you're right - it is a business these days isn't it!
  • This 28 message thread spans 2 pages: 1  2  > >