Login   Sign Up 

This 17 message thread spans 2 pages: 1  2  > >  
  • 25 Hard Truths About Writing and Publishing
    by Terry Edge at 10:09 on 23 January 2013
  • Re: 25 Hard Truths About Writing and Publishing
    by wordsmithereen at 11:31 on 23 January 2013
    Couldn't read very far, Terry, because this guy seems to have no real love or respect for language and probably has a grudge against the publishing industry because they won't touch what he writes. Could be wrong, but I don't believe the simile 'like a herd of stampeding cats' belongs in a piece of quality writing, nor the generally teenaged tone of his prose.

Also, we all know that getting published isn't easy, we don't need a flippant list of reasons why we should stop writing from anyone, never mind someone who writes badly.
    by Terry Edge at 12:13 on 23 January 2013
    I understand what you're saying. However, I don't feel he's being flippant. I think he's trying to produce an antidote to the various myths and airy-fairy ideas writers can have about publishing, which are often encouraged by the industry if only because it makes writers more pliable.

I agree that we all know getting published isn't easy but I do feel that too many writers don't think clearly enough about what getting published actually means; if it's even desirable; the consequences, etc. Ditto with self-publishing.

I don't think this blog is meant to be 'a piece of quality writing', more a wake-up call. Sometimes humour can break through misconceptions more successfully than reams of reasoning. And within the humour here I think there are a lot of truths about publishing and writing which are useful to have in one's front mind.

He doesn't actually advocate stopping. Towards the end he says, " You’ll hear things, see things, and have to deal with things that will make you want to headbutt a plate glass window. You’ll want to give up. Don't . . . You can’t control the audience’s reaction to your book. Control what you can control, which means: write the best book that lives inside you." which I'd certainly agree with.

The art, as such, with writing/publishing is to balance what are often hard even cynical commercial truths with one's love of telling a great story. Personally, I find the odd informed rant helpful in this respect.

by AlanH at 12:19 on 23 January 2013
    Terry, thanks for posting.

Didn't really 'get' the potty humour, but I'm sure he did make some good points - somewhere.
    by Astrea at 12:43 on 23 January 2013
    Have to say, I loved the stampeding cats

I thought he made several good points, and a lot of his humour worked for me. Horses (or cats) for courses, I suppose.

<Added>

And the harbits
    by saturday at 12:48 on 23 January 2013
    Actually, I thought there was loads of common sense in there. Yes, he used quite a lot of rude words and a deliberately flippant tone of voice which will create a barrier for some people, but it will probably resonate with others.

My main criticism was that it was a bit long and could probably have been split into two threads.

<Added>

The stampeding cats and the harbits worked for me, too, Astrea!
    by EmmaH at 13:50 on 23 January 2013
    "Trying to nail a trend in publishing is like trying to knit a sweater while jumping out of a plane. On fire. Covered in squirrels."

Priceless. Loved this article so much, Terry. And probably just what I needed to read today.
    by Terry Edge at 14:23 on 23 January 2013
    I was lucky enough to start in the business when following trends, or keeping up with the market, wasn't a consideration. I just wrote what I liked. Editors stopped buying it once they got ambushed by committees at every stage. I thought about trying to write commercial for a while but gave up. I still write what the hell I like and have no idea how to sell it. All I do know is that people often like elements of my stuff that to me is surprising. But if I then tried to focus on those bits, I'm sure the magic as such would quickly evaporate.
    by CarolineSG at 15:11 on 23 January 2013
    I think it's great. Very funny and wince-inducingly true in so many places..
    by chris2 at 16:46 on 23 January 2013
    You're right, Terry. I liked this one. It hits hard but in a way that helps you maintain a philosophical (if somewhat wry) view of the whole business.
    by a.m.edge at 20:16 on 23 January 2013

No one's quoted the last bit:

You can’t control the audience’s reaction to your book. Control what you can control, which means: write the best book that lives inside you.

The guy may be flippant (or laugh out loud funny) but he has a heart. I enjoyed the whole piece (not just saying that because we share the same surname, Terry)!
    by Terry Edge at 20:38 on 23 January 2013
    Hi Annie,

When I joined WW I was rather internet naive so just used my actual name as my username. For some strange reason, you can't change your username here. So anything I say can be seen all over the internet. Which would be okay, I suppose, if I was just saying BUY MY BOOK . . .

by a.m.edge at 20:49 on 23 January 2013
    Funny, the same thing happened to me.
    But I did it just last week. I thought you had to be a member to see these comments?
    by Catkin at 01:25 on 24 January 2013
    Annie, Comments in the Lounge and Private Members sections are members-only. Comments in the other sections are visible to anyone on the internet. Posted work isn't visible to non-members, unless you set it to be visible to all.
    by a.m.edge at 12:26 on 24 January 2013
    Thanks for keeping an eye out for me, Catkin!
  • This 17 message thread spans 2 pages: 1  2  > >