Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Dear Agent - Nicola Morgan
    by chris2 at 18:44 on 12 August 2012
    I recently purchased Nicola Morgan's Write A Great Synopsis which was immensely helpful in tackling that challenge. Her blog's often mentioned on ww so many will be familiar with her as the 'crabbit old bat'. Having noticed the announcement of her latest publication, Dear Agent, which addresses the equally daunting area of the query letter, I bought that last week for the paltry (and presumably introductory) sum of 77p. I can advise anyone interested that it is worth considerably more than that! It gives loads of positive guidance but is particularly good at making very clear what you should avoid doing to avoid the crass, the inane and the self-destructive.

Not everything in the two books is relevant to everybody's work, and there were one or two things where you'll maybe think 'No, that won't work for mine', but, on the whole, this is priceless stuff. The books only seem to be available in Kindle format, but you don't need a Kindle. I haven't bought one. Just download the free 'Kindle for PC' reader and read them on your PC.

Chris

• Re: Dear Agent - Nicola Morgan
    by Steerpike`s sister at 18:59 on 12 August 2012
    I agree. I haven't read the book but I followed her blog and it's good advice, well given.
    by eve26 at 19:39 on 12 August 2012
    Thanks Chris, been meaning to buy that - so will do so now!
    by EmmaD at 20:06 on 12 August 2012
    Yes, it's excellent stuff (and has a bit of humour to it, which is never a bad thing!)
    by Astrea at 13:54 on 13 August 2012
    Yes, I bought it as well. Sensible, helpful advice, as always. Just wondering, though, if agents are now going to see a flood of suspiciously similar-looking query letters!
    by chris2 at 18:27 on 13 August 2012
    Just wondering, though, if agents are now going to see a flood of suspiciously similar-looking query letters!

You're right. It's almost inevitable, I fear. The trick is to take on board the basic sound advice without becoming trapped by the structural 'template' suggested.

I suppose the author's problem was that, without setting out a basic format with a defined content for each section, she would have had to put things in much more general terms making them unavoidably more difficult to grasp and implement. An example makes everything so much clearer but unfortunately it's much easier to follow an example than to adapt and exploit it.

I found Write a Great Synopsis rather less formulaic.

by EmmaD at 09:37 on 14 August 2012
    Just wondering, though, if agents are now going to see a flood of suspiciously similar-looking query letters!

If they do, I'm sure they won't mind.

The function of a covering letter - and so what an agent is interested in - is conveying as clear an idea of the book and the writer, as quickly and efficiently as possible - both substance and style (which is where the humour might come in).

If the substance is right, and the style is intelligent and well-written, no agent's going to say "Hm, formulaic covering letter. Back in the SAE for you, my friend."

They just wait till they can say that of the book...
    by chris2 at 10:58 on 15 August 2012
    Good point, Emma - born of greater experience than mine in this area.

Yes, while rigid standardisation might be best avoided, 'sound formulaic' definitely beats 'naff eccentric' and all the other approaches Nicola Morgans warns about.