Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• DC Thompson publishing opportunity
    by rogernmorris at 16:51 on 07 August 2012
    This came through in an email from the Crime Writers Association. I thought I would share it here for anyone interested:

Publishing opportunity

DC Thomson are seeking submissions of crime and thriller books of 50,000 words for a mass-market publishing opportunity. For more information, send a synopsis and first three chapters to easyread@dcthomson.co.uk

<Added>

I should say, I don't know anything about the deal they're offering, so this is not a recommendation. Just passing on information is all...
  • Re: DC Thompson publishing opportunity
    by Jem at 18:00 on 07 August 2012
    Hi, Roger! I joined the CWA last week and also got this email. I happen to know that the Easy Reads are a new venture in connection with D.C. THompson's My Weekly Magazine, Maggie Seed being the editor of both:-

http://quillersplace.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/easy-read.pdf

If you go to Sally Quiller's "View From The Shed" blog she writes a post about what you can make from selling pocket novels - very little in the first instance (£300!!!!) but of course you can sell them on to Ulverscroft the large print publication.

I am not happy about it, personally - if you go to Womag's blog I've posted in reply to Sally who talks about the fact that you can make money by selling on. If you sold your "easy read/pocket novel" for 10 times that amount you *still* could sell it on!

<Added>

Seriously, I really think it sucks what they're offering.

<Added>

http://quillersplace.wordpress.com/

Sally has just posted that she has tweaked a Pocket Novel to fit the new requirements for the "Easy Reads" and has just had it accepted. I think she loves writing them and finds them easy - she's had a lot of experience writing this type of thing. It requires a certain skill - I couldn't do the word length and Roger, I can't speak for you but I'd read a couple before I thought about writing one!
    by rogernmorris at 19:52 on 07 August 2012
    It's good to get your perspective, Jem. £300 for 50,000 words is pathetic to be honest - an insult.
    by Catkin at 20:11 on 07 August 2012
    Yes, I agree. Those pocket novels aren't worth doing (unless, like Sally, you really enjoy writing them and can do them very quickly).
    by Katerina at 13:10 on 08 August 2012
    Thanks Roger, mind if I share this?
    by Jem at 14:36 on 08 August 2012
    Katerina, it's on Womag's blog and Sally's so it's common property!
    by cherys at 18:56 on 08 August 2012
    £300? Seriously? Even if you worked flat out,Nano-style and subbed without editing, and it got accepted, that would still work out at about £1-2 ph, depending on how fast you can churn it out.
    by Jem at 19:19 on 08 August 2012
    I know.
    by GaiusCoffey at 19:46 on 08 August 2012
    £300? Seriously? Even if you worked flat out,Nano-style and subbed without editing, and it got accepted, that would still work out at about £1-2 ph, depending on how fast you can churn it out.

Well, no actually, this is the age of technolog.

Copy&paste then global find&replace on placenames, character names, jobs, then jiggle the scene order in every third chapter.

Or, you could go for broke and build one of these: http://www.fiftyshadesgenerator.com/

With proof-reading, you might get it up to almost minimum wage (after deducting legitimate work-expenses such as half a bottle of cheap whiskey for breakfast, lunch and supper.

Seriously Contemplating Technology and an Untraceable Penname of Dublin
    by Forgham59 at 17:09 on 13 August 2012
    Frankly I am surprised by D.C Thompson who have been an established publishing house for more years than one can say. I find it difficult that they would do this, does not sound like them at all
    by Jem at 17:24 on 13 August 2012
    They only pay about £70 for a story, I think, so I'd say it very much sounds like them, personally.